Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer files from my current imac to the new one. My old imac is running 10.5.8

Hello

I got a new iMac 10.8.2 and also have a iMac 10.5.8 how can I conenct those 2 ?

All I want is to use some of my files on my new one.I don't want to transfer ALL my files,just some,like pictures. But only the once I need. Not all of them.

I have a FireWire cable,don't work, I have ethernet cable,don't work.

So I must do something wrong ๐Ÿ˜Š If someone could maybe explaint it to me step by step that would be great,since I am not a big Mac (computer) freak.

So basically I would like to use my old iMac as a external drive where I could get my files from and transfer them to my Mountain Lion, iMac.

Also If someone knows,why Mountain Lion always loses internet conections,would be also a very big help! ๐Ÿ˜Š Thank you!

But please, in simple step by step explaining. My english is not the best,my German is much better ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thank you so much already for the help, I really appreciated!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 2:01 PM

17 replies

Oct 7, 2012 2:39 PM in response to SimplyKlick

Oh, on the losing Internet, try this...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.7 & 10.8โ€ฆ

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Click OK.

PS. Your English is quite good & completely understandable. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oct 7, 2012 4:31 PM in response to BDAqua

Hello BDAqua

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciated.

I finally saw the older iMac on my new yay... But I could not get to my pictures. So I am still trying to figure it out, any ideas? ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜Š

On the network conection, I am also still working on, not getting it, I think. Not sure what I do wrong,well let say I don't see what you said ๐Ÿ˜Š ( I am good on the old vision, its just the problem with Mountain Lion)

I don't see click join and if I would what would I have to fill in? I am sorry, I just don't know!

Thank you so much for your help!

PS: Thanks for the compliment on my English ๐Ÿ™‚

Oct 7, 2012 8:41 PM in response to SimplyKlick

But I could not get to my pictures.

In finder, do a Get Info on that Drive, does it say ignore permississions... or what Rights does it say you have?

On the network conection, I am also still working on, not getting it

Let's work on one at a time. ๐Ÿ™‚

PS: Thanks for the compliment on my English ๐Ÿ™‚

Hard to believe English isn't your native language, you do better than many that suppossedly onlt know English!???

Oct 9, 2012 10:09 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello BDAqua

Well, it says all kinda things ๐Ÿ˜‰ in the last section though it says, I can read and write, if thats what you mean. You must know,my Mac is all in German, so I kinda have to figure out where what is and what it means in English. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Says:my name and behind it it says,read and write

than it says,staff, read and write

everyone,just read

So not sure if that what you mean. ๐Ÿ˜• Sorry ๐Ÿ˜Š

PS: hahaha,thank you for this,nice to hear that ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜‰

Oct 10, 2012 2:44 PM in response to baltwo

Thank you very much everyone,thats a lot to read for me and understand what I have to do.

I will try to see if I get it, if I do or if I don't I will let you know!

Thank you for the help!

@baltwo, about wiping and restoring,well we tryed this already with Support on the phone, did not work, or let say did not change any of the problems.๐Ÿ˜•

Thanks everyone, I will read all this,translate and try it. Let see what will happen!

How do I transfer files from my current imac to the new one. My old imac is running 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.