Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I share my Aperture Library over my home network?

I am currently sharing my Aperture Library with my Apple TV via Home Sharing. Can I also share it with a separate instance of Aperture running on a different mac on the same network (similar to how iPhoto has the built in library sharing feature)?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 6:26 PM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2012 5:42 AM in response to léonie

Leonie,

What is different about Aperture that doesn't allow libraries to be shared?

iPhoto Libraries have a feature that allow you to share your library to other iPhoto installations on the same network

iPhoto & Aperture both can use the same library/database

Aperture can share its library to Apple TV, iPhone, & iPad users via Home Sharing on the same network

I recently switched from iPhoto to Aperture, and I really miss this feature. I have a main repository of photos residing on my Mac Mini. When I was using iPhoto, my wife could access these photos via a Shared Library within iPhoto. But now that I am using Aperture, she cannot access the same files unless I close Aperture and reopen the same library in iPhoto.

Oct 8, 2012 12:00 PM in response to drummerjoe

"Sharing" has different meanings:

iPhoto Libraries have a feature that allow you to share your library to other iPhoto installations on the same network

The iPhoto feature you are talking about does not share the library to be used and edited by several users, it allows other user to read the images in the shared library. This is save, since other users cannot modify the shared library.

When you asked about sharing a library, I thought you meant the same Aperture library to be used from two different users - to be edited and modified.

But you are right, Aperture does not support to share the Library across the network. To share your Aperture library this way you will have to open it in iPhoto and to share it as an iPhoto Library.

Regards

Léonie

Can I share my Aperture Library over my home network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.