Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook has no sound output

I have a MacBook running Snow Leopard (v. 10.6.8).

I am not getting any sound (output), except the chime when powering on.

The speaker icon at top of the screen is greyed out and the volume slider doesn't work.

Sound output 'preferences' reports "The selected device has no output controls" for the optical digital output port.

What's the fix for this (and why is it happening)?

Thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 1.83 MHz

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 10:16 PM

Is there a red light coming out of your headphone jack? If so the Mac is stuck in optical audio mode.

Try plugging in/unplugging headphones or the following longer steps from https://josephhall.org/nqb2/index.php/stuckonmute

1. Plug your headphones back in.
  2. Play a bit of sound through them (e.g., a song), then stop the sound.
  3. Make sure Preferences is quit.
  4. Launch Preferences and open the Sound pane.
  5. While the Sound pane is open and set to Headphones, pull out the headphone plug from the jack.
  6. It will reset itself to "Internal Speakers" and you are good to go.
15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2012 10:16 PM in response to dymar

Is there a red light coming out of your headphone jack? If so the Mac is stuck in optical audio mode.

Try plugging in/unplugging headphones or the following longer steps from https://josephhall.org/nqb2/index.php/stuckonmute

1. Plug your headphones back in.
  2. Play a bit of sound through them (e.g., a song), then stop the sound.
  3. Make sure Preferences is quit.
  4. Launch Preferences and open the Sound pane.
  5. While the Sound pane is open and set to Headphones, pull out the headphone plug from the jack.

Dec 11, 2012 2:18 PM in response to Power-PC

Thanks. (For some reason I was never notified about your reply -- or missed it -- and so didn't check back here. Your reply turned up when I ran a new search about the problem -- since mine has been getting worse).

Unfortunately, I haven't found that your method works. When I pull out the headphone plug from the jack (Step 5), it reverts to 'Digital Output' -- not 'Internal Speakers.' And yes, I do see the 'red light' when I experience the problem.

Does your method require an OS later than Snow Leopard (10.6.8)?

Feb 12, 2013 12:16 PM in response to dymar

Manually deleted old files like ones below from

Library > Preferences > Audio (these were outdated - spread the word!)

Library > QuickTIme

CanonMJPEGAVI.component

CanonMJPEGAVIDec.component

CanonText.component

DesktopVideoOut.component

DVCPROHDMuxer.component

DVCPROHDVideoDigitizer.component

DVCPROHDVideoOutput.component

DVCPROHDVideoOutputClock.component

DVCPROHDVideoOutputCodec.component

FCP Uncompressed 422.component

Google Camera Adapter 0.component

Google Camera Adapter 1.component

LiveType.component

macam.component

AmpliTube2DUOLERW.vst

StudioDevilBVC.vst

DVCPROHDAudio.plugin

Sound works on 15" MBP from 2010 !!!!

Feb 24, 2013 10:02 PM in response to pklarmour

Did you ever fix the problem because its driving me mad.

I haven't fixed it, but for some reason have been experiencing it less recently.

I don't have the sense that the problem is fixable, other than by replacing the logic board (acc. to Apple Store employee). But why do that if the 'sound o/p' is your only problem?

If the problem grows worse again, I'll just create a 'permanent' connection of some sort -- i.e., one that won't require my removing the o/p plug. IOW, outboard speakers or an intermediary unit that allows switching between speakers and headphones.

Clearly, Apple should do something about this -- a situation where a minor problem (faulty sound o/p jack) can be fixed only by a major expense, replacing an entire component that otherwise isn't needed, is absurd.

Feb 24, 2013 10:05 PM in response to exNewt

exNewt wrote:

Manually deleted old files like ones below from

Library > Preferences > Audio (these were outdated - spread the word!)

Library > QuickTIme

. . .

Sound works on 15" MBP from 2010 !!!!

???

Were you having trouble with the sound output jack?

I don't follow how removal of files can fix a hardware problem.

Mar 25, 2013 10:55 PM in response to Matthew T R

Matthew T R wrote:

This solved my problem perfectly after fixing repair permissions, rebootint the computer 10 times, making sure all the updates were done. None of that worked. Just plugging in the headphones and then unplugging them got the sound working again. Thanks!

The fix your post refers to must be OS-dependent and/or one that works on certain MacBook models but not others.

As noted above (my Dec. 11, 2012 reply post), I don't get the results indicated in Steps 5 and 6; i.e.:

When I pull the headphone plug out, I see 'Digital Output' (not 'Internal Speakers").

Feb 25, 2015 6:48 AM in response to dymar

I have the same problem occasionally on my white MB running 10.6.8. I've always fixed it by poking the toothpick from my Swiss Army knife around in the headphone jack hole until the light goes out. Always seems to work although sometimes I have to repeat the process once or twice to get it to "take".

-Steve

Dec 29, 2016 8:29 PM in response to sryoder

Steve, thank you. This was driving me crazy, I was trying all sorts of things and then I came across this old post of yours. I used a wooden toothpick and had to poke about in the hole a lot, not wanting to just jam in in there and break something, but the result was the same. The red light is gone and I have internal speakers again. Thank you, thank you!

MacBook has no sound output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.