Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Asked for Aperture serial number every single time

After re-installing Aperture on a new hard disk (the old one failed), I was asked for Aperture serial number every time I open the software. How can I stop it? (iMac 2009, OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2, Aperture 3.4.1)

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 7:38 PM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2012 9:28 PM in response to hongkongais

You may have a corrupted "ProAppSystemID" file or Aperture cannot write to the System Library.

To stop Aperture asking for the serial number, first check, if you still have an old file "ProAppSystemID" in your System Library.

• Quit Aperture.
  • Go to your MacintoshHD and open the folder "Library", then "Application Support", then "ProApps".
  • Remove the File "ProAppsSystemID" to the Desktop, if it exist and restart Aperture.
  • Reenter your serial number, hopefully for the last time.

Sometimes Aperture writes this file to a temporary directory, when it cannot write to the Library. If the above does not work, look at the temporary directory /tmp

Use the Finder's "Go" menu

Go > Got to folder and enter /tmp into the textfield. If you see the file there, move it to its proper location.

In this case you may want to repair the permissions on your system drive; you can do this using the "First Aid" tools in "Disk Utility" (located in Applications > Utilities)

Regards

Léonie

Oct 11, 2012 8:34 AM in response to léonie

I have the same issue. Followed your instructions, removed the ProAppSystem ID file to the Trash.

However i did not find the /temp file. Repaired permissions also.

What happens now is that once I enter the serial number, quit Aperture and open it again, this time it does make the request. But when I restart the computer the first time I open Aperture the request pops up.

Thank you.

Asked for Aperture serial number every single time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.