Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viewing content from macbook on AppleTV = confusing

I would like to view photos and videos from my Macbook on Apple TV. I don't understand why it is actually so confusing. On Apple's website regarding setting up Home Sharing, it doesn't say what you do after you turn on home sharing. Then what do you do? I still don't see any added functionality to then view my stuff. Please help me understand this:

1) You can only view photos/videos through iTunes? You cannot go directly from iPhoto or Quicktime to Apple TV? To view individual images?

2) I did manage to turn on home sharing in itunes and select the photo albums to share, and then put them up on the tv ( though I can't remember how now ). I checked "invlude videos", but the videos do not appear. I have some AVIs and some MOVs, it appears the MOVs (recorded from iPhone) do appear, but no other formats?

I'm thinking it's actually easier to buy a cable and physically connect my laptop to the tv, and use the tv as the screen.

This whole thing is ridiculously picky! I know it's supposed to be simple but it's really not. Where can I get a thorough explanation on how this all works? Not the skimmed over generalities that Apple provides, but the detailed step-by-steps that include what you can and cannot view... I'm tearing my hair out here. Thank you.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 7:52 PM

There are no replies.

Viewing content from macbook on AppleTV = confusing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.