Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Receiving Mail from Outlook.com Alias Addresses

I have set up my Outlook.com email account (Microsoft's Hotmail rebranded to Outlook.com) in the OSX Mail program and it works fine.

However, I have an alias in that account, and I can't get any email addressed to it at all.

By alias I mean that if my main email address is xxx@outlook.com I get the emails, but for the alias of xxx-commerce@outlook.com I don't get anything. These are just two email addresses for the same account. Only one password, etc.

I've tried to set it up by separating the addresses with commas, which apparently worked in earlier versions of OSX, but that doesn't work with Mountain Lion. I've also tried setting it up as two separate accounts, but the server won't let me sign on with the alias email address.

I've also searched this community, the Outlook.com forum and online generally and can't find a solution to this problem. Can anyone help me?

By the way, I also have an alias in my icloud.com account and it works fine. Apparently the mail app knows and understands that there is an alias during the process of establishing the account. It also works fine in MS Outlook 2011 and Thunderbird.

This is a common need, and it is baffling to me that it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 8:32 PM

9 replies

Oct 26, 2013 2:54 PM in response to New_Mac_Man

Your messages are probably being placed in a folder at outlook.com that is not synched to your mac... Whenever you create an alias on Outlook, by default, outlook creates a folder named after the alias, and a rule to redirect email addressed to that alias to the new folder/mailbox. Find the rule, delete it, and your messages will arrive at the main inbox and will be synched to your mac...

Receiving Mail from Outlook.com Alias Addresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.