Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI, Mini Display Port and Mountain Lion

Hello,

After reading about numerous issues concerning the Mini Display Port and Mountain Lion, I'm trying to discuss it here with you all to see if there is any solution.

I have a MacBook Pro (2009), and used it with my TV (HDMI cable + Mini display port adaptor) with Plex media center back when it was on OS X Lion. It was very convenient because as a portable computer, it could easily be set near the TV and allow the use of a remote to sit in the couch and stream media from the Time Capsule… without the help of any expansive box. Perfect setup I've had for over a year.

The thing is, since I've upgraded to Mountain Lion, when I try to connect the MacBook Pro to the TV, the screen turns blue as if it was calculating the resolution of the monitor so… ok. Until it comes back, and nothing changed either on the MacBook Pro screen or on the TV.

Harware side, I've tried with the computer open, closed, I've checked every port and connection on both computer, TV and adaptor.

Software side, what I find really annoying in Mountain Lion is that they completely ditched every monitor setting as long as nothing is connected — and even if the Mini DP is connected… the Mac thinks it's not. I even tried to reset the PRAM. This is a nightmare.

I've tried to do the same with my iMac (mid 2011), and it all worked properly. What I can't explain is why it works on my iMac and not on the MBP… as they have the same configuration !

I don't know if Apple is outcasting old devices so people buy new Apple stuff or if they ditched the HDMI out on certain (old) devices on purpose so users replace it by the new airplay mirroring feature and buy the Apple TV. I won't, because let's say it's a total crap compared to other media center solutions. And I'm bored of Apple.

Please, HELP NEEDED ! Has anyone had the same issue ? I bet you have ! Now how can we solve that ?

Thank you for your time.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 3:23 AM

1 reply

Oct 13, 2012 8:18 AM in response to Shteuf

EDIT : stopped working on iMac too… then update 10.8.2 fixed the issue. Now it works. Thanks Apple for temporarily removing some features ! It's just so ANNOYING.

Hope you gonna stay with the few we have left on Mac and stop removing things randomly. Not event talking about the pro environment (designers, developpers, etc.) that is almost gone. 2 years and our macs will be tablets. Careful with the old clients… it's been almost 10 years I'm on a Mac and I've never been so unhappy.

HDMI, Mini Display Port and Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.