Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto will not import jpegs

Suddenly iPhoto will not import jpegs because ... . . . . . . . they are in a format it does not recognise.

I have resaved the jpegs as . . . jpegs but iPhoto still doesn't recognise them.

!!! ???

Any ideas?

BTW the Preferences pane still does not work unless you give it about half an hour or so to 'settle' itself. I know many others had this problem.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), No chance of ML on 0.5Mbps!!!

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 4:06 AM

6 replies

Oct 8, 2012 4:14 AM in response to skalarocks

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on eight different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary from version to version and OS to OS. So before anyone can help, they need information to work with. Things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. What were you doing when the problem arose?

- Did it ever work properly?

- Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

Anything else you can think of that might allow someone else to understand your issue.

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

Oct 8, 2012 6:13 AM in response to Yer_Man

- What version of iPhoto.

8.1.2 (no further updates available).

- What version of the Operating System.

As in my post: MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), No chance of ML on 0.5Mbps!!!

- Details. Whatwere you doing when the problem arose?

I was trying to import some jpegs!!!

I tried both "Import to library" from the menu and also dragging from the Finder.

- Did it ever work properly?

Yes, as in my post: "Suddenly iPhoto will not import jpegs". Never had a problem before.

- Are there error messages?

Yes, as in my post: "The file is in an unrecognised format." (Actually it says unrecognized with a z.)

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

As in post: "I have resaved the jpegs as . . . jpegs".

Anything else you can think of that might allow someone else to understand your issue.

Not really, nothing complicated here - I just can't import jpegs which is something I have done successfully for years and years and years.

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

Already tried that, and the problem is repeated.

Any ideas anybody???

Oct 9, 2012 1:29 AM in response to skalarocks

I had the same problem some days ago. (iPhoto 8.1.2, Mac OS 10.5.8.)

I could solve the problem by replacing the ending .jpg with .tiff.

I can't remember exactly the reason, but suddenly when I tried to find out the reason for the mentioned weird behaviour, one of the applications showed one of the pictures as .tiff. In fact, they have been scanned images, could be I saved them long time ago as .tiff. In Finder they have been shown as jpegs and Preview opened them fine with the ending .jpg.

Could be that's not the solution for your problem, just wanted to mention there are others too encountering 'your' symptoms. 😉

iPhoto will not import jpegs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.