Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 10.7.5 Fans Running at High levels. Help?!

Hello,

Two days ago I started experiencing the fans on my Mac Pro started to pick up and sound like they are running at a high level. I had a friend tell me to download a widget named istatpro where it shows me details of what my computer is doing. It says my fans are running at 600RPM which I've tried doing research on the web and it's not suppose to be doing this. I don't know why it is, and I would like to fix this issue. I have done several things:

The first thing I did was Reset the SMC. It did not work.

The second thing I did was Reset the PRAM. And of course that did not work.

Does anyone know why this is happening? What can I do to fix this issue before dragging this giant computer to apple?

Here's what I'm running:

Power MAC

Mac OS X 10.7.5 - Cannot upgrade to Mt Lion

Processor 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 8GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMMF

iStatPro reads:

Temp

Mac HD : 36

HD: HD 2 32

CPU A: 23

CPU B: 126

Ambient: 20

Expansion Slots: 23

HD Bay 1: 24

HD Bay 2: 24

FANS: 599RPM

Exhaust: 2788RPM

CPU Fan: 2734 RPM

HD/Expansion: 499RPM

If in anyone can help that would be great.

Thank you

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 9:54 AM

The name Power Mac refer to a different class, PowerPC IBM processors from 2003 to Early 2006.

There is a SMC Reset button on the motherboard. Or hit power on with it unplugged.

FBDIMMs are the first thing I would look at, and you should already be using SmcFanControl 2.x to keep them under 70C. New 2x2GB kits are $34 @ Amazon.

2nd being why not list graphic card, and any other items. Hardware Monitor or the free Temperature Monitor may be more accurate in some areas.

Amazon also has a good little Dust Vac for computers.

Your gpu and psu can be clogged.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2012 9:54 AM in response to amuzma

The name Power Mac refer to a different class, PowerPC IBM processors from 2003 to Early 2006.

There is a SMC Reset button on the motherboard. Or hit power on with it unplugged.

FBDIMMs are the first thing I would look at, and you should already be using SmcFanControl 2.x to keep them under 70C. New 2x2GB kits are $34 @ Amazon.

2nd being why not list graphic card, and any other items. Hardware Monitor or the free Temperature Monitor may be more accurate in some areas.

Amazon also has a good little Dust Vac for computers.

Your gpu and psu can be clogged.

Mac Pro 10.7.5 Fans Running at High levels. Help?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.