Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this new field labeled "cheap call" with a VOIP string in Contacts?

I just noticed that all of my contacts (which sync between iCloud, my Gmail account, and Facebook) now have a field called "cheap call" with a phone number written as follows:

cheap call: voip://+15551234567

I've searched online and could not find anyone posting anything about this field. In my contacts, the phone number that's used with the voip string is the main contact number.

The other odd thing is that when I click on that voip string and phone number nothing happens. No dialer is launched and I don't have Skype installed.

Does anyone have this field? How can I get rid of it since it is showing up with ALL of my contacts?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 9:38 AM

9 replies

Oct 10, 2012 9:58 AM in response to lauramw0607

I wish that worked for me. Unfortunately, and I don't know why as I am running the newest version of the app, but there is nothing anywhere in the More section that shows the Cheap Calls option. Looks like I'll be e-mailing Sync.ME about it.

Edit: I went through the "delete Sync.ME account", then upon reopening the program entered my mobile number (which I did not do the first or any time before) but it now gave me a Cheap Calls portion, along with Recording. Neither were there before but were after entering my mobile number at the initial program startup.

Glad those are removed now!

Oct 10, 2012 10:06 AM in response to DyMndSkiR

Hmmm. I actually didn't try the fix suggested so maybe it was premature to label it as having solved my problem. What I did was I deleted the contacts on my iPhone by clicking the Gmail contact sync option to off. I tuned iCloud contacts sync off. Then I logged in to Gmail on my computer, exported my Gmail contacts to a cvs file, deleted the "cheap call" field, went back to Gmail and deleted all of my synched contacts, reimported them with the revised csv file. Then I exported my contacts to the file format for iPhone. Went to iCloud.com and deleted all of my contacts. Then I imported the revised set from the file I exported from Gmail. Then I turned the contacts sync back on my iPhone for both Gmail and iCloud. That's probably overkill to sync my contacts with Gmail and iCloud but that's how I do it.

What is this new field labeled "cheap call" with a VOIP string in Contacts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.