Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I close my lid while system is shutting down? Mountain Lion

Due to the fact that my MacBook Ait is closing under ML very slowly (aprox. 20 sec), I have a question about closing my lid during shut down. Can I do it without any risk? I tested it and everything was fine, despite closed lid computer shuted down. It turned on also without any problems. What's your exoerience?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 11:53 AM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2012 7:43 PM in response to richboy247

Depends on when during the shut down process you close the lid. If it's still prepping the OS for shut down and user logout and you close the lid it's possible that the machine will sleep versus shut down. As richboy247 stated, you want to ensure you let the process complete normally or you run the risk of interrupting it.

I have seen one scenario and it was on a machine (long before SSDs) that went to sleep during the OS logout/shut down sequence. Somehow it corrupted the user's data and set his entire user folder to read only (not read/write). I've never seen anything else like it and only once in 10+ years of supporting, using or helping people with Macs.

Can I close my lid while system is shutting down? Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.