Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder font size

1. Where and how do I fix the font size for the header on various windows, e.g. Finder, Safari on a Mac G5 Duel Drive with MacOS 10.5.8 and a 23" Apple montor?

2. What System Preferences/Cinema HD Display (23")/Resolutions should I use? Is 1280 x 960 or 1280 x 800 correct? Of those two 1280 x 800 files the entire screen, so my guess is that this is correct.

3. Also, I get error messages when I try to print different types of saved documents, e.g. .tiff, .pdf, .txt onto my Canon PIXMA iP4500 printer that tell me "The Output Resolution option, 600 x 600 dpi is not available when Output Resolution is set to 300 x 300 dpi. After responding to the OK button on the error, then I can print, but printed page only covers 1/4 of the page and appears in the upper top left corner with very very small fonts!! What is the likely problem. I have contacted Canon and they referred me to Apple. But I suspect that they were wrong, as this problem does not appear on my HP printer.

Power Mac G5 (June 2004), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 3:11 PM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2012 3:50 PM in response to Bruce Crawford

Hi Bruce,

1. Very limited Text options.

In Safari>Preferences>Appearance

2. On the Cinema Disply...

• 1920 x 1200 pixels (optimum resolution)
  • 1280 x 800 pixels
  • 1024 x 640 pixels

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP79

3. I suspect it's a setting in the Print Dialog, tough to say where since every Printer is different.

But it also matters what APP you're printing from.

Oct 9, 2012 3:51 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks....your suggestion fixed the text/image size on all of the application windows and the full expected appearance of my monitor screen. However, I do not know where the Print Dialog is located for the Canon printer or...is that part of the MacOS 10.5.8 operating system?

The 1920 x 1200 pixels is what I had set many many years ago and have NOT changed and indeed using 1920 x 1200 pixels returns me to my normal visual appearance of all my windows.

The interesting thing that after I fixed the resolution, I discovered that when I try to print on my Canon PIXMA iP4500 printer this operation still results in an error message descirbed in Item #3 in my original posting. Furthermore, at one time changed the resolution to 1280 x 960!!! Canon claims (perhaps in error) that the MacOS 10.5.8 operating system is responsible. Is that still possible? With this resolution, the monitor does not use the entire screen and all of the text and windows header and side bar get enlarged significantly or does ot fit in the entire screen.

Therefore, does anyone seen this problem or does anyone suggest that I (1) return to Canon to get more information (perhaps where I can find the Print Dialog setting that needs fixing) or (2) back to Apple to do more testing....or perhaps (3) replace the Canon printer with an HP printer. My wireless HP printer does not have this problem? I have already fixed permission and verified that my hard drive has no errors. This problem seems to be independent of the type of file that I attempt to print, .tiff, .pdf, .txt, .cvs, .rtf as after closing three error messages, then I can print and the printed image takes up 1/4 of the page and is located in left top corner!! However, testing that I did today, my 1280 x 1200 pixel resolution does not change back to 1280 x 960!!

It is interesting that it also took four discussions with Apple Support to tell me about the 1920 x 1200 pixel for this monitor. Guess they have forgotten how monitors were made in 2004. Still puzzled about the solution to Item #3.

LATER IN THE DAY...I called Canon to see what light they could shed on this problem and they said that the error message is relevant only if you are using an Epson Printer to print. Well, the last time I did that was when I had MacOS 10.4.11 on my system and before I upgraded to MacOS 10.5.8, but have not used an Epson printer previously, as I used such printer as a wireless printer at that time. Furthermore, the Print Dialog has become confused with the residual Epson printer driver such that the Canon printer now is using such in error. My Canon technical support person this afternoon said that the Print Dialog is part of MacOS and the Canon printer, using my old Epson driver functionality reported such as an error...as only the Epson printers report errors regarding "dpi". That information is very interesting and probably explains why this problem is so rare. There may be an update on the Epson printer driver that fixes this problem....but that is the next step to figure out.

I am now going to call Epson to see how I can un-install the old Epson Driver. After I have done that I will add another note for all to read, although I expect such does not happen frequently.

Thanks for your suggestion that solved Item #1 and Item #2.

Oct 9, 2012 5:22 PM in response to Bruce Crawford

OK...I have now discussed the problem with Epson and again Canon. The link to Epson (via the Print Dialog) proved to be faulty.

So...have solved the problem finally after the third discussion with Canon, i.e. if anyone is interested the details follow.

After deleting all folders and files from the original Epson printer installed under MacOS 10.4.11, the first step done to solve the Item #3 printing problem and dpi message was done. Epson does not have an un-install tool.

Danny from Canon technical support knew something that nobody else knew, as he has seen this problem before, but the cause was not necessrily the same as the cause in my case. In my case the problem is related to the CUPS Utility that was implemented in MacOS 10.5.8 for the benefit of Motorola based processors, as opposed to the new Intel based processors.

Therefore, for my 32-bit G5 system my MacOS 10.5.8 must use the IJ4500 driver, rather than the iP4500 driver. I never was aware of that. Danny indicated that the UPS Utility is a product of Apple that is supposed to simulate the iP4500 functionality. However, the alternate IJ4500 driver does not use the CUPS utility, but Canon uses its own driver to accomplish the printing task. Anyway, by removing the original iP4500 version of the driver and using the IJ4500 driver the problem was fixed, i.e. errors went away and printing filled the full page!!

Hence, the combination of my upgrading from MacOS 10.4.11 to MacOS 10.5.8 resulted in a potential error (but low probabiliy) in the iP4500 driver. What caused this problem was probably based on a low probability event that something may have been damgaged in my CUPS utility or there was a bug in the CUPS utility. Danny felt it was unlikely that would happen again if I were to continue usng the iP4500 driver, but by using the IP4500 driver it should never happen.

Now is that now an interesting result. He also said that to fix MacOS 10.5.8 is a very risky idea and did not advise such. Does this all make sense to you more experienced Mac users?

Oh, well the lilfetime left on my 2004 version of my MacOS 10.5.8 system is probably less than a year. But it still works extremely well for less complex functionality environments....so will eventually get a new desktop system.

Finder font size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.