Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does icloud backup sms text messages and if yes how

I would like to know if text/imessages are backed up via iCloud? if not then what is the option available within Apple to find a way to backup sms/imessages on a regular basis

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 6:55 PM

15 replies

Oct 8, 2012 7:02 PM in response to Luqman Rehman

Only as part of the overall iPhone backup. They can't be accessess separately; they would only be available if you restore you phone to the backup, including all the other data and settings contained in the backup. If you want to save your message conversations separately, you'll either have to take screenshots and email them to yourself, or use 3rd party software such as Touch Copy (pc or mac) or PhoneView mac).

Oct 11, 2012 8:09 PM in response to Luqman Rehman

Those settings only reflect the things you have the option not to include in the backup, not everthing that is backed up. This article explains what is backed up: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859. You will not that is says, in part:

You get 5GB of free iCloud storage for:

• Photos and videos in the Camera Roll
  • Device settings (for example: Phone Favorites, Wallpaper, and Mail, Contacts, Calendar accounts)
  • App data
  • Home screen and app organization
  • Messages (iMessage, SMS, and MMS)
  • Ringtones
  • Visual Voicemails

Messages are included in the backup, they just don't appear in the setting you are looking at because you don't have the option to not include them in the backup.

Oct 12, 2012 10:27 AM in response to Luqman Rehman

You're welcome. Whenever you change devices, back up your old one and when setting up your new one restore it to the backup of your old one, as explained here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109. This will transfer the data and settings from your old phone to your new one, including text messages. You will also have to set up your existing iCloud account on your new phone to sync your iCloud data such as contacts and calendars to your new phone.

Jun 24, 2013 12:39 PM in response to Luqman Rehman

Luqman Rehman wrote:

one more question regarding backup! if i restore a backup to a new device and then erase the old device and use the same Apple ID on that device will it still pull from the other device (the new one) automatically or only if I want to restore from that backup.

If you only signed into your existing iCloud account, you would only receive the iCloud data in your account, which would not include photos in your camera roll, text messages, apps and app data, etc. To transfer this data to a new device, you need to restore it to the backup of your old device, as explained here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2109.

Aug 5, 2015 9:43 AM in response to Luqman Rehman

I hope this can be useful info for someone reading... Backups can become corrupt! When that happens, messages and 3rd party app data become un-re-coverable unless you jailbreak your phone. Contacts, Notes, Calendar, and other Cloud data CAN be retrieved though since it's in the Cloud and as a senior apple tech told me yesterday, "that can't become corrupt". Your Cloud backup however, CAN become corrupt as mine did.

So - the point is don't trust apple's backups to be the end-all answer to keeping your data intact. As I just lost precious messages w/ pics, audio, & pics from people that have left this earth. Pretty devastating. I will be looking into 3rd party apps such as mentioned in previous posts so at least it preserved in some aspect.

I trust apple can come up with a better solution.

Nov 12, 2015 10:09 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

As per Apple, I am not doing anything wrong. I even went to an Apple Store and had a genius do the process with me when I got 2 new devices and no SMS/regular text came up when I restored from a very recent back up to iCloud with all the options chosen to back up. Only iMessages came up on the restore. The Apple genius could not come up with a reason as to why that occurred when everything was done correctly.

does icloud backup sms text messages and if yes how

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.