Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Electric shock from MacBook Pro while charging only.

I got this painfull shock as if you have been pierce by a needle to your forearms.
The shocks are actually from the screws at the side of the MacBook Pro. You can test it by the following method while the power plug are connected.

1. Extend your forearms and let it touch with the screws.
2. Use a "Test-Pen" and touch all the screws. It will lighted up !! Even the "On" button has it.

You won't get it if the MacBook Pro are running with Batteries.

MacBook Pro 1.86 - 80gb - 512mb, Mac OS X (10.4.6), Ex Apple//GS, //e, //c, //+ & iBook G4 user

Posted on Apr 11, 2006 10:17 PM

51 replies

Apr 11, 2006 11:00 PM in response to siix

I'm getting the same problem. Mini electric shocks when touching any metal part of the MBP. (on charge only)

Other than being quite warm my MBP has been flawless (W8609)

I wonder what can be done about the electric shock situation.

No-one should have electric shock therapy unless absolutely required - Thanks Steve (typing this whilst still getting little shocks......)

MBP2.16 Mac OS X (10.4.6) 2GB Ram 120GB 5400rpm

Apr 11, 2006 11:32 PM in response to siix

No 2-pin plug here. 3-pin (3rd being earth pin)

Usually this occurs when earth potential in your house system, starts to float or when the cheap chinese laptop OEM's make dodgy power supplies that have design issues.

I hope the latter is not the case with my MBP. Otherwise apple have another disatisfied MBP customer and I'll my best to get it resolved or warn other people away from MBP purchases - I have had enough of Win/Cheapo laptops, and I thought this would be over once I got an apple - so much for the dream; (continuing mini shocks....)

Apr 12, 2006 5:47 PM in response to siix

Thanks for the tip KCH.

Maybe something is getting lost in translation.(see my previous pos)

I am using the the 3-pin/3-core cable. The system is grounded/earthed correctly. (from the laptop side)

Now I have pixels dying on my MBP. (3 so far)

I'm far from happy.(in fact quite ****** off!)
Apple will need to sate my dissatisfaction. As far as I'm concerned, they build quality is not much better than the rest of the laptop munufacturers out there.

So much for being "something special" Steve....I'm contemplating returning my MBP and getting a full refund.

Apr 12, 2006 10:54 PM in response to H F Cohen

Very interesting. By attaching the extended cable which consist of the 3 pin plug, there isn't any electric shock. Confirmed with the test-pen there isn't any current flow at all the screws. One thing the manual did not have any caution or explainations to user of MBP to use the extended cable in case they experience the electric shock. I hope they have some revision on their manual.

Now I'm happy and feel safe.....but I got a very long cable with me!!!

Apr 14, 2006 2:32 AM in response to siix

Actually, the users guide does state: “The AC power cord provides a grounded connection." (page 30) and, “For best results, always use the AC power cord and connect it to a grounded power outlet when one is available.” (page 31).
Regards,

2.16 GHz MacBook Pro (W8612...), Dell 620 WorkStation (XP Pro) Mac OS X (10.4.6) G4 Tower (OS 9/10), Dell 620 WorkStation (XP Pro), Gateway P4 (XP Home)

Apr 14, 2006 5:16 AM in response to Digital Dude

Actually, the users guide does state: “The AC power
cord provides a grounded connection." (page 30) and,
“For best results, always use the AC power cord and
connect it to a grounded power outlet when one is
available.” (page 31).

The term "grounded" should be put it the simplest form of explaination so that it will be better understand for other user who might not know it.

Just a suggestion....
"The AC power cord provides a better protection if you experience uncomfortable electric tingling sensations while operating the MacBook Pro" (page 30) and , "For best protection, always use the AC power cord whenever possible." (page 31).

MacBook Pro 1.86 - 80gb - 1 GB Mac OS X (10.4.6) Ex Apple//GS, //e, //c, //+ & iBook G4 user

Apr 14, 2006 11:16 AM in response to siix

Does anyone with a MBP have access to an ohmmeter? I would like to know the impedance between the MBP case screws and the ground pin at the end of the power supply cord that plugs into the wall outlet. IMPORTANT !!... Do not try to make this measurement with the power supply cord plugged into the wall outlet or with the computer on.

Dual 1 GHz Power PC G4 Mac OS X (10.3.7)

Apr 14, 2006 10:51 PM in response to H F Cohen

H.F.,

I measure 1 KΩ between the screw closest to the MagSafe socket and the ground pin of the power plug (U.S. version). As expected, the value is the same between the case and the ground connector pin on the power brick. (As you know, the power brick accepts two power connectors, one that has no cord and two prongs and the other that has a cord and three prongs). Shorting the leads on the multimeter shows ≈ 3Ω (of course, I have to change the meter's range to get that value).

Randall Schulz

iMac 20" Core Duo; MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Apr 14, 2006 11:00 PM in response to Randall Schulz

hey Randy,

Can you bottom line that for us? What do those readings mean? Are they good or bad?

And is it just me, or does this whole discusion about grounding seem odd. I mean how can "slight electrical shocks" be acceptable under any circumstances, grounded or not? I can't think of any other electronic device in the history of the universe where this would be considered OK.

Apr 14, 2006 11:20 PM in response to erik graham

I'm only answering H. F. Cohen's request for a resistance measurement. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I don't know what's an acceptable impedance for this sort of configuration. What does seem odd to me is that particular value. It's as if there's a 1K resistor between the ground on the power supply output side and the ground on the input side.

Keep in mind that unless there's a short between the primary (power line side) and the secondary of the transformer in the power brick, there's no way for line current to reach the computer. That's one big reason so much consumer electroncis equipment has external power bricks. They provide a natural isolation between the device and building power and, if I understand correctly, free the manufacturer from having to get U.L. (and other national regulatorty agency) approval—that's handled by the manufacturer of the power bricks. External power supplies also allow for smaller cases and lessen thermal dissipation requirements.

Anyway, I'm very skeptical that people are experiencing electrical shocks from their MacBooks. There would have to be some serious manufacturing problems for such a defect to occur, and it's not as if power transformers and power supplies are cutting-edge technologies. Of all the things one might expect a manufacturer of computer equipment to skrimp on, power supplies don't seem very likely. The legal liability for a problem with safety consequences is far greater than that for a device's mere failure to perform as advertised.

Randall Schulz

Electric shock from MacBook Pro while charging only.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.