Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"cannot send email message using the server icloud" on 10.6.8

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I use mail from my desktop, not from iCloud on the Internet. I have a MacBook Pro with 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. My mail was working fine until yesterday.

It says "Cannot send message using the server iCloud. connections to the server smtp.me.com on the default ports timed out. Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below.

The list has:

ICloud offline

and Icloud

Neither of them work.

What has Apple changed regarding this in September?

(I know others have posted similar message, but they were on 10.7)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Early 2008

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 8:12 PM

3 replies

Oct 15, 2012 8:47 PM in response to Gab

I, plus two other readers are having the same problem. Cannot send email. My email has always worked, but stopped working last week without my making any changes. The outgoing mail server is "icloud," I am trying to send from my desktop, I am not wriiting about sending from the icloud, apple's website. Any solutions?

Oct 24, 2012 6:57 PM in response to Gab

Same problem here.

Recently an @icloud.com version (alias) of my existing @me.com email address appeared on my account. I can still send messages form the OSX build in Mail client as long as I am using the @me.com version of my email, but I do get this message when I try to use the new @icloud.com account.

My account with iCloud states that both @me.com and @icloud.com versions of my email are active.

Would be nice to know if this is a temporary problem of if this is a permanent one.

The settings on the outgoing mail server are default as retrieved from apple when I configured the @me.com email for the first time. I went through the troubleshooting suggestions as provided on Apple website, double checking all the settings, no joy. At the very list I can still use the old @me.com alias with no problem (for now)

MacBook Pro / Mountain Lion 10.8.2

"cannot send email message using the server icloud" on 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.