Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I change owner for iphone

Hello,

I am buying one iphone from craglist and i want change owner for my name .

please let me know the steps.

Thanks

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 10:13 PM

If the iPhone is functioning, go Settings > General > Reset > Erase Content and All Settings.

It should be as new.

8 replies

Oct 6, 2013 4:21 AM in response to ckuan

Similar question: I recently purchased an iPhone 5s for my AT&T wireless account. My wife is also an AT&T wireless customer, with a BlackBerry as her AT&T phone. Our AT&T wireless accounts are separate.

I currently have an iPhone 4s as my AT&T phone. After I get the iPhone 5s, I'd like to give the iPhone 4s to my wife, for her to use as her AT&T phone.

I'm trying to avoid a trip to the AT&T store, which usually seems like a waste of time.

A few questions on transferring the iPhone 4s to my wife:

1. After I do a full factory reset of the iPhone 4s, can I then just give her the phone "as is" with the current SIM card in it, or will it need a new AT&T SIM card for her to be able to use the phone, and keep her current AT&T number? (she is a current AT&T wireless customer, no contract).

2. If a new SIM card is needed -- Can the SIM card from her BlackBerry be put into the iPhone 4s? (BlackBerry Torch 9800 4G AT&T phone, I believe it's a regular-sized SIM). I have no problem with cutting or modifying a SIM if that's needed.

3. Can activation for the iPhone 4s, for my wife with her AT&T number and plan info (voice, text, data, etc.) be done via iTunes, or would it require a trip to the AT&T store?

Any advice, suggestions or info are greatly appreciated. I've searched for close to an hour on the Apple Support Forums and didn't see any specific thread that addressed these specific questions. Thanks!

Oct 6, 2013 7:56 AM in response to abmedic

Wipe iPhone/iPad/iPod touch clean

There are a few steps to do:

Switch off iMessage in Settings > Messages

Switch off FaceTime in Settings > FaceTime (iPod touch 4th Generation or later, iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later)

Delete iCloud in Settings > iCloud > Delete Account

Finally Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

Un-register your device: https://supportprofile.apple.com

Now you can sell/give.

To 1.

She needs a new sim card, need to contact AT&T to keep her same number on iPhone

To 2.

iPhone 4S uses a micro sim, get a new one for her.

To 3.

After all is done above, you can activate via iTunes.

Apr 23, 2014 6:07 PM in response to girish241674

similar type question

i have purchased an iphone 5

the previous owner just deleted his icloud, imessage, facetime ect email and passwords

it was on ios 7.1

i have put in my e.mail and passwords for all the above

but i am afraid to reset or update the phone as i dont know if it will ask for his icloud email address when setting up the phone or updating the phone

the phone is still registered in his name i think or prehaps the previous owner before him if their was one!

is there anyway i can get my name as the new owner?

also what would happen if i reset/update the phone, will it want my icloud email address or the previous owners

thanks

how can I change owner for iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.