Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maintenance programs, Looking for recommendations

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro And I'm looking for a maintenance program some that I've seen are Mac keeper, Mountain lion Cachet cleaner,Cocktail And I know there are a many more. My question is Do I need one of these programs because the only thing I use Is repair permissions in utilities. Can someone shed some light on what part of these programs to use example cachet cleaner, optimize, Binary's cutter, Logs cleaner, Etc.. I don't want to remove anything And later regret it.

Thank you

Daniel

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 1:07 AM

99% of those programs are not for maintenance, but troubleshooting. I rarely run "maintenance" programs on my Macs anymore because OS X has over the years gradually automated more maintenance routines that I used to do myself.

Troubleshooting means I only run those utilities if something's not running right. As long as things are running well, I don't run them.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2012 1:07 AM in response to synesthesian

99% of those programs are not for maintenance, but troubleshooting. I rarely run "maintenance" programs on my Macs anymore because OS X has over the years gradually automated more maintenance routines that I used to do myself.

Troubleshooting means I only run those utilities if something's not running right. As long as things are running well, I don't run them.

Oct 9, 2012 3:20 AM in response to synesthesian

I don't want to remove anything And later regret it

Bingo - don't use any sort of maintenance, 'cleaning' app or anything like that. Caches are there for a reason - they speed up your working environment. Binary cleaners can be harmful. You don't really need a thing except OS X to keep your system running smoothly.

If you feel as if you must have some sort of maintenance application, try the free Onyx. But don't do anything with it until you understand what you're doing.

Clinton

Oct 9, 2012 6:33 AM in response to synesthesian

How to maintain a Mac

1. Make redundant backups, keeping at least one off site at all times. One backup is not enough. Don’t back up your backups; make them independent of each other. Don’t rely completely on any single backup method, such as Time Machine. If you get an indication that a backup has failed, don't ignore it.

2. Keep your software up to date. In the Software Update preference pane, you can configure automatic notifications of updates to OS X and other Mac App Store products. Some third-party applications from other sources have a similar feature, if you don’t mind letting them phone home. Otherwise you have to check yourself on a regular basis. This is especially important for complex software that modifies the operating system, such as device drivers. Before installing any Apple update, you must check that all such modifications that you use are compatible.

3. Don't install crapware, such as “themes,” "haxies," “add-ons,” “toolbars,” “enhancers," “optimizers,” “accelerators,” “extenders,” “cleaners,” “defragmenters,” “firewalls,” "barriers," “guardians,” “defenders,” “protectors,” most “plugins,” commercial "virus scanners,” "disk tools," or "utilities." With very few exceptions, this kind of material is useless, or worse than useless.

The more actively promoted the product, the more likely it is to be garbage. The most extreme example is the “MacKeeper” scam.

As a rule, the only software you should install is that which directly enables you to do the things you use a computer for — such as creating, communicating, and playing — and does not modify the way other software works. Never install any third-party software unless you know how to uninstall it.

The free anti-malware application ClamXav is not crap, and although it’s not routinely needed, it may be useful in some environments, such as a mixed Mac-Windows enterprise network.

4. Beware of trojans. A trojan is malicious software (“malware”) that the user is duped into installing voluntarily. Such attacks were rare on the Mac platform until sometime in 2011, but are now increasingly common, and increasingly dangerous.

There is some built-in protection against downloading malware, but you can’t rely on it — the attackers are always at least one day ahead of the defense. You can’t rely on third-party protection either. What you can rely on is common-sense awareness — not paranoia, which only makes you more vulnerable.

Never install software from an untrustworthy or unknown source. If in doubt, do some research. Any website that prompts you to install a “codec” or “plugin” that comes from the same site, or an unknown site, is untrustworthy. Software with a corporate brand, such as Adobe Flash Player, must be acquired directly from the developer. No intermediary is acceptable, and don’t trust links unless you know how to parse them. Any file that is automatically downloaded from a web page without your having requested it should go straight into the Trash. A website that claims you have a “virus,” or that anything else is wrong with your computer, is rogue.

Because of recurring security issues in Java, it’s best to disable it in your web browsers, if it’s installed. Few websites have Java content nowadays, so you won’t be missing much. This action is mandatory if you’re running any version of OS X older than 10.6.8 with the latest Java update. Note: Java has nothing to do with JavaScript, despite the similar names. Don't install Java unless you're sure you need it. Most users don't.

5. Don't fill up your boot volume. A common mistake is adding more and more large files to your home folder until you start to get warnings that you're out of space, which may be followed in short order by a boot failure. This is more prone to happen on the newer Mac notebooks that come with an internal SSD instead of the traditional hard drive. The drive can be very nearly full before you become aware of the problem. While it's not true that you should or must keep any particular percentage of space free, you should monitor your storage consumption and make sure you're not in immediate danger of using it up. According to Apple documentation, you need at least 9 GB of free space on the startup volume for normal operation.

Use a tool such as the free application OmniDiskSweeperto explore your volume and find out what's taking up the most space. Move rarely-used large files to secondary storage.

6. Relax, don’t do it. Besides the above, no routine maintenance is necessary or beneficial for the vast majority of users; specifically not “cleaning caches,” “zapping the PRAM,” "resetting the SMC," “rebuilding the directory,” “running periodic scripts,” “deleting log files,” “scanning for viruses,” or “repairing permissions.” Such measures are for solving problems as they arise, not for maintenance.

The very height of futility is running an expensive third-party application called “Disk Warrior” when nothing is wrong, or even when something is wrong and you have backups, which you must have. Disk Warrior is a data-salvage tool, not a maintenance tool, and you will never need it if your backups are adequate. Don’t waste money on it or anything like it.

Oct 9, 2012 9:48 AM in response to synesthesian

synesthesian wrote:

I don't want to remove anything And later regret it.

Also keep in mind that you don't need to "run maintenance" to "save space." Most of the files removed by "maintenance utilities" would total a few megabytes. That is nothing compared to a single HD movie from a phone, or a single MP3 album. You just aren't going to save much space compared to the huge sizes of today's internal disks. The utilities were much more useful 15-20 years ago when hard drives were pretty small.

I'm not saying the utilities are useless. If there is a problem with a font cache, disk directory, etc. then I will run Onyx or whatever to fix the problem. But that's because there is a real problem. If there is no problem I will not include those utilities in routine maintenance.

Oct 9, 2012 10:08 AM in response to synesthesian

You should be more concerned with hardware and data backup maintenance than software maintenance.

Mac buying and maintenance advice

Most commonly used backup methods

#1 thing, if your computer has a hard drive, do NOT move it while it's in operation.

Those read/write heads are only a fraction above the spinning platters with your precious data on them, one jar and you start losing things or having issues.

Oct 9, 2012 11:37 AM in response to ds store

ds store wrote:

#1 thing, if your computer has a hard drive, do NOT move it while it's in operation.

Those read/write heads are only a fraction above the spinning platters with your precious data on them, one jar and you start losing things or having issues.

I move my operating MacBook Pro all the time. I haven't worried about head crashes since the Sudden Motion Sensor was added to Macs years ago, and I have had no hard drive failures. Yes, one should avoid rough handling like a hard landing on a table when putting it down, of course, but generally I just don't worry about gentle laptop moves anymore.

Jan 29, 2013 2:05 AM in response to ds store

I made the mistake of downloading your software which is more like malware. I'm glad you're here to tell me how I remove the TXT Document that pretty much follows me everywhere I go. Say I go to my Adobe folder to choose illustrator app to open.... there it will be.. The .DS_Store file. If I open my Documents folder, Music folder, Photos folders, I will get the .DS_Store

FILE DETAILS:

KIND: Document

SIZE -- 8 KB on disk (6,148 bytes)

WHERE: Users/me/Music (and everywhere)

DISK IMAGE: Users/me/me.sparsebundle

If you can't tell me how to clear this file off of my computer, can anyone telll me the trick as to how to remove this pain in the butt file?

Maintenance programs, Looking for recommendations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.