Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to 10.6 make my Mac safer on the internet?

I'm happily using 10.5.8. Would upgrading to 10.6 make my Mac safer on the internet? I'm not interested in new features - so why should I upgrade?

Thanks

Mark

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 3:06 AM

8 replies

Oct 9, 2012 3:23 AM in response to Sparky Marky

I am assuming you have an Intel Mac because 10.6 won't run on a PowerPC.

Your concern was my primary reason for upgrading from 10.5 to 10.6 several months ago.

It is fairly similar to 10.5 and I am mostly quite pleased with it.

Despite the arrival of Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard still managed to get a security update as recently as last month.

Pricing has changed dramatically over the years. Where once a 10.5 retail DVD upgrade cost me here in Australia $179, I got Snow for $39. It is even cheaper in the U.S.

Snow Leopard still has Rosetta so older PPC applications like Appleworks still work, so I think it is definitely worth doing.

Oct 9, 2012 5:03 AM in response to Sparky Marky

In my opinion your Mac will be less safer if left as it is and more safer and less vulnerable if you upgrade to 10.6 and further update via software update and/or the Combo update to 10.6.8.

But you should be aware that Apple no longer vouch to support Snow Leopard any more than Leopard ... although major security matters may be treated differently.

Upgrading to 10.6 make my Mac safer on the internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.