Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb pages lost

iWeb did quit unexpectedly (after having problems already with publishing my website to a local folder: not enough disk space ?!) and after restarting some of my pages are gone.

Is there any way I can get them back or restore these pages. my website is online, so I could download my files via ftp. I also keep a back-up with Time Machine and I have a copy of my site in a local folder.

Everything is there, but how do I get it in iWeb?

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 4:03 AM

So the published version of your website is no good to you and also possibly the copy of your site in a local folder is no good to you, especially if you published it to a local folder from iWeb.

Unfortunately, iWeb has no import facility, so is unable to open a published site whether on your desktop or hosted. iWeb is a one way street, so it creates the html and css files upon publishing, but cannot open them.

To be able to get your website back you need your domain.sites file which stores all your iWeb data and this can be found under your User/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites.

If you have this domain file backed up on Time Machine, then you can get your site back, but if not, you are looking at re-creating your site from scratch in iWeb. Nothing more you can do, as iWeb can't open html and css pages.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2012 4:03 AM in response to eggann

So the published version of your website is no good to you and also possibly the copy of your site in a local folder is no good to you, especially if you published it to a local folder from iWeb.

Unfortunately, iWeb has no import facility, so is unable to open a published site whether on your desktop or hosted. iWeb is a one way street, so it creates the html and css files upon publishing, but cannot open them.

To be able to get your website back you need your domain.sites file which stores all your iWeb data and this can be found under your User/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites.

If you have this domain file backed up on Time Machine, then you can get your site back, but if not, you are looking at re-creating your site from scratch in iWeb. Nothing more you can do, as iWeb can't open html and css pages.

iWeb pages lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.