Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password protect downloads

I have a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.8, which requires my admin password when I go to download anything from the web. I also have a Mac Mini which the kids use, also running 10.6.8 which doesn't require a password to download. I want to restrict what is downloaded on this computer, by requiring the user to enter an admin password, but I can't find anywhere to set that up. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 4:51 AM

1 reply

Oct 9, 2012 2:23 PM in response to Zaphod61

Zaphod61 wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.8, which requires my admin password when I go to download anything from the web.

Well unless you installed some third party software to control downloads, one can download anything from the web, it's just that it might not be able to be installed without using the admin password.

This can occur more often by using a Standard User account on the MBP, as the Applications folder is off limits to anyone who doesn't have the admin name and password.

However files (like PDF's) can still be downloaded to Standard user without needing the Admin name and password as it resides in that Standard Users account.

I also have a Mac Mini which the kids use, also running 10.6.8 which doesn't require a password to download.

What likely occured here is that machine is setup with only the inital account, which is Admin and can download/install more freely than the Standard user account.

You can turn the Admin user into a Standard User by first creating a new Admin user, then logging into it and changing the first Admin to Standard. Then enable some Parental Controls in System Preferences like locking the Dock and not allowing Safari to run. (install Firefox first)

I want to restrict what is downloaded on this computer, by requiring the user to enter an admin password, but I can't find anywhere to set that up. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

To stop all browser downloads, install Firefox and the PublicFox add-on, which will give great control over the browser.

This will require a different password before any downloads using the web browser.

Enabling the Standard User account on the Mini will not automatically do Software Update like the Admin account will, so you will have to update the OS X manually.

So with Safari locked and unable to run, Firefox is the browser to use with PublicFox blocking the downloads that should stop any downlaod from occuring on the machine.

If you want to more bullet proof the Mini, install DeepFreeze, this will revert the Mini back to what it was before it was frozen upon a reboot. 😉

Also there are themes for Firefox that can make the browser more freiendly to childrens tastes.

Password protect downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.