Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto not copying the modified version to Finder

The more I update iPhoto, the more buggy it becomes. It used to be that when you drag photos from iPhoto to Finder, it would place the edited version of the photo in the Finder, not the original. This is how it should be. It makes sense because the photo you're dragging is the edited one. This doesn't happen anymore. When I drag from iPhoto to Finder, it places the original one in the Finder. Is this a bug or has Apple gone mad and purposely made it this way?

Also, when I select that same photo in iPhoto and go to File -> Reveal in Finder, it only allows me to select the original and not the modified file. So the only way to get the modified version is to go hunting for it in the iPhoto Library package file. This is ridiculous.

But if I drag that same photo from iPhoto into the Safari mini browser window (when selecting a photo for your Twitter display picture), it selects the original file but displays the modified version. I am so confused right now!

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 12GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 4:30 AM

2 replies

Oct 9, 2012 6:48 AM in response to IlMolto

Neither a bug or Apple madness. Just a damaged database.

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Oct 9, 2012 7:05 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

Firstly, thank you for helping me out. Secondly, I neglected to mention that this iPhoto library that I'm dealing with is a brand new library that I created from scratch because I was having problems with iPhoto in the first place. I spent the whole day yesterday getting all my photos out of the old library and into the new one. I also spent a lot of time getting all the events, albums and faces right. It's finally back to normal and now you're telling me there's a chance that there's a damaged database. I have to say that what I'm going through is pretty ridiculous. All for a bunch of photos. Everything else seems to be working fine. It's only that dragging and dropping problem that I described. I might just try rebuilding the database using the iPhoto Library First Aid. Thanks again for your help.

iPhoto not copying the modified version to Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.