Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Paragon's "HFS+ for Windows" safe to use in Boot Camp Windows &/or Parallel 8 Windows?

Is Paragon's "HFS+ for WIndows" safe to use for read+write access to HFS+ drives when running Windows [8] via Boot Camp?

Drivers that came with Apple Boot Camp (or maybe Parallels [8]) enable "read-only" access to HFS+ formatted drives from Boot Camped Windows, but I want to be able to write to the drives, too. I'm worrying about whether something in those Apple (or Parallels) drivers for Windows that makes that possible might also conflict with other software like "HFS+ for Windows," maybe even make a risk of corrupting the HFS+ disk (either external or even the OS X boot partition) so badly that everything on it becomes lost.

So I'm looking for people's experiences with using "HFS+ for Windows" with Parallels Desktop [8] for Mac. Is it safe?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 7, Boot Camp,Win 8,Parallels 8,MBP15R

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 9:06 AM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2012 12:37 PM in response to macimby

I haven't tried Windows 8 yet, so I can't speak about it. I can tell you I have been using it with Windows 7 for quite soime time. I have also been using the NTFS driver for MacOS for just as long.

I did notice one thing, but I could never prove it was the HFS+ driver or not. When loading under Boot Camop it worked perfectly, but when booting the Boot Camp partition in Parallels, I would always hang during shutdown. I think it was related to the HFS+ driver which as Templeton Peck mentioned, is not needed in Parallels.

Oct 9, 2012 9:16 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Thanks, Templeton. Yes, within OS X using Parallels 8 the integration with the Windows Parallels virtual machine is great. But once I leave the OS X / Parallels environment the folder sharing access disappears. So when I Boot Camp to Windows I have no visibility into the OS X partition nor any external HFS+ drives. (Except for a few specific activities that can only be done in OS X or are best in OS X, I spend almost all my time in Windows, so I usually wouldn't run OS X or Parallels to Windows.)

Thanks GeekBoy. Paragon HFS sounds risky with Parallels. I'll be eager for more feedback about risks of using that combo from whomever can offer it.

Mar 12, 2013 9:52 AM in response to aizilakmar

Hey,

i was using my HFS+ Drive in my MBP with Paragon HFS+ under Bootcamp. It worked great!

After installing Parallels and using the Bootcamp Partition as a VM, the HFS+ Drives are visible, but I can't open them.

I removed Parallels completely, and I also deinstalled P HFS+ under Bootcamp. So now I can only get read access to my OSX Partition and the other HFS+ Drive.

If I reinstall P HFS+, the Partitions are visible, but i am asked to formatt them (under windows 7). I can't get access!

Can someone help me? Is there another way to remove all drivers from Parallels in my Bootcamp Partition?

Are there any similar problems?

Thank you for your help!

Is Paragon's "HFS+ for Windows" safe to use in Boot Camp Windows &/or Parallel 8 Windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.