Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari on iPhone: cannot move cursor or edit text without deleting in Google search bar!

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if this is an IOS6 problem or not, but on my iPhone 4s I seem to not be able to jump the cursor to edit my search in Google, on Safari.

For example if I've typed in "Where is my mind?" and done a search, and then I want to change it to "Where WAS my mind?", I seem to have to delete the WHOLE line of text in the search bar, because I can't jump the cursor to any other part other than the end. I can't even scroll to the end to see where the end is! SOmetimes I can't even see a cursor.

This is really annoying me and I don't want to use or download another search engine app.

Anyone else had this problem? Is it just me? Is there a setting somewhere? I seem to believe that this is a relatively new problem for me. Perhaps it's since I updated to IOS6...

(and yes, I've tried holding down my finger on the text to get the old magnifying glass out - that don't work)

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Jon

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 11:16 AM

I've noticed this too since iOS6. I assume its a bug they will fix.

13 replies

Oct 9, 2012 11:19 AM in response to bluehemisphere

I did a little test of this on my 4S using iOS 6. If I try to go to the search bar that is on the page that Safari is displaying, I cannot do it. However, if I tap into the Google search bar on the right side of hte header of Safari, to the right of the address bar, I can get the cursor and the magnifying glass, and I only see the exact text that I typed into the search bar. See if that works for you. I'm not really sure where you are trying to access the cursor from, but this is the behavior that I have just witnessed on my phone.

Oct 9, 2012 11:40 AM in response to bluehemisphere

Same issue here. It happens on my iPhone 4 and my 4S, but not my iPad 3. iOS 6.0 on all devices. I have found that in can do the "tap and hold" to get the magnifying glass in order to reposition the cursor in the Google search bottom at the bottom of the Safari page, but the bar at the top works (or doesn't work in this case!) as you described. I have had limited success by touching the screen just below the top search bar, and then I can see/reposition the cursor from there. It doesn't work all the time, and it takes a few seconds to respond when it does. Definitely annoying!

Oct 13, 2012 10:19 AM in response to bluehemisphere

I'm also having this problem. Cannot move the cursor once you've executed a google search. If you try to refine the search in the google search bar, it is impossible to refine the search by bringing up the magnifying glass and moving the cursor. The "solution" suggested above is just annoying (though, appreciate the help) because with io5 this was not even an issue. It should just work like it used to. It's clearly a bug that needs to be fixed.

Oct 14, 2012 12:35 PM in response to bluehemisphere

I may have just accidentally found a solution!!

Try this:

Tap the search bar to enter the supposed "edit text mode",

Then tap and hold at the VERY LEFT of the search bar. If you've got big thumbs/fingers it would be almost as if you are pressing the edge of your phone.

Then up comes the old magnifying glass!!

Does this work for you?

Hope so!

Safari on iPhone: cannot move cursor or edit text without deleting in Google search bar!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.