Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Macs detect aftermarket RAM?

I installed 8GB DDR3 1333 GHz 9-9-9-24 Latency Corsair SODIMM RAM in my Late 2009 13" MacBook Pro and Diablo 3 would crash after 15-45 minutes of playing. I talked to their tech support and they said it was my RAM. I ran 4 Apple Hardware Tests (Extended) and my Mac passed all of them and they continue to tell me its my RAM. I replaced the RAM with the stock 4GB RAM and played for 15 minutes and it was smooth and didn't crash (I'll be doing some hardcore palying after work to really test). Is there a way they can tell I switched RAM? I'm A+ Ceritified and have built enough computer for fun and at work to know how computers work so I don't see how it could have been something hardware related. Is there a way they could see that from my Mac and game error logs or system profile (files they resquested)?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 11:57 AM

That is the incorrect speed RAM for your computer. The correct speed specs are listed below.

Maximum Memory 8.0 GB

Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2012 11:57 AM in response to WalterR

No. Any memory that meets the requirements of the computer should work. Installing RAM rated faster than that required by your computer is a waste of money, and the memory might not work. A 2009 MBP uses:

Memory Slots2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

There is no such animal as a Late 2009 MBP. There is a Late 2009 MB that uses the same RAM as above.

Oct 9, 2012 12:16 PM in response to WalterR

I figured the speed would downclock to my bus speed. I don't know why I though my computer was 1333GHz. I upgraded the RAM like a year after I got the laptop so it's possible I was looking at the new MBP specs. Old RAM does run fine but still the 4GB vs 8GB difference is clear. Are you saying my MBP won't properly down throttle my RAM which is the whole issue?

Can Macs detect aftermarket RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.