Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import photos from Mail to iPhoto and preserve the date created?

I have several photos sent to me via email attachments in Mail which I want to "add to iphoto." When I do this, the original date of the photo changes to "today's date."

When I drag the photo to the desk top, the file (photo) properties change and the date changes to "today's date."

Is there a way to import photos and preserve the original date the photo was taken? For example, if my family finally got around to sending me photos from 4th of July, I know the date is 7/4/2012, not today's date, 10/9/2012.

I want to avoid the time/work of doing batch changes on countless photos I want to add to iphoto.

iphoto 11

mail 5.3

Lion 10.7.5

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1, iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, iCloud

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 12:01 PM

11 replies

Oct 9, 2012 12:50 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry, I need more information...

Using what you said, I ran some tests using photos taken with my digital camera in iPhoto. My photos show the following information in the "information" sidebar:

•type of camera

•Flash on

•Format size

•File size (MB)

•File type (jpeg)

•Frame "number"

•Month/day/year/hour/min/sec/AM-PM

Then I tried to email a photo to myself: I have tried: "share," "attach," "drag/drop" a photo into email and sent it to myself as a test. Once the photo arrives in my Mail inbox, I have tried various ways to add this "test" photo into iPhoto:

"Add to iphoto"

"drag into iphoto"

"export into iphoto"

Each time, iphoto created the photo with "today's date." In the past, I would get an alert: Photo already exists in iphoto, do you still want to import? Duplicate or Cancel

Can you elaborate on, "if the photo properties are present and correctly formatted then iPhoto uses them."

When I drag a photo to the desktop and double-click to preview the photo, the top of the preview window says:

P1009.jpg -- locked (gray lettering of the word "locked")

Is there a setting I need to change to "unlock" the properties of my photos?*

Thanks!!

MG

*My original post focuses on importing photos sent from other people. I am hoping if I can solve the matter with my own photos, other photos will import with original dates created, too.

Oct 9, 2012 2:06 PM in response to Old Toad

Update: I right-clicked a photo on my desk-top, clicked the lock in the lower right corner to unlock, then draged the photo into iphoto. I got a pop-up: Would you like to import the following duplicate photo? Cancel, don't import, import

How do I make a global change to "unlock" photos so they will import and maintain the original created date?

Mar 31, 2013 3:40 PM in response to zanyface

I have a similar issue. When I "add to iPhoto" from within the message in Mail, the date of the photo changes to the date it was added to iPhoto, not the date it was taken. The date info is deleted from the EXIF file when the photo is added to iPhoto in this manner. On the other hand, when I click and drag the photo to iPhoto in the dock, the original date and EXIF data are preserved.

Oct 24, 2014 1:02 PM in response to zanyface

I shared this frustration until a few minutes ago.

'Right click' (2-finger tap) on the photo in Mail and choose 'Open with...' in the popup.

In iPhoto 11, I have 'Jpeg to iPhoto.app' as one of the options.

This is working on MOST of the pics that were sent to Mail with an iPhone 5c, and even a few sent with a Samsung dumb fone!

(Lion 10.7.5)

Cheers!

How to import photos from Mail to iPhoto and preserve the date created?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.