Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DEP prevents iTunes from running Win 7 32-bit

Hello, I'm new to this forum, so ANY help will be appreciated!. DEP (Data Execution Prevention) will not allow iTunes to start/run. I used iTunes last, right before I left for a 2-week vacation. Tried to run it after my return, DEP issue. I've tried to add iTunes as an exception, it indicates that iTunes cannot run without DEP running...I've updated iTunes, and Quicktime seperately to their latest versions, still no go...I was going to try System Restore, but it doesn't go back far enough in time to when I left for vacation...I'm stumped, and I NEED to sync my phone to iTunes...please HELP

backlineguy

Nashville, TN

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 12:23 PM

11 replies

Oct 9, 2012 5:16 PM in response to b noir

Many thanks, b noir for the attention...I have downloaded the latest version of iTunes, and attempting to install it, I see a screen that offers 2 choices; REPAIR, or UNINSTALL...I've twice chosen REPAIR, and I'm still having the issue. I looked on the document you linked in your reply, but I fail to see any instructions on uninstall/reinstall...I'm afraid if I uninstall iTunes, I'll lose all my songs, etc...can't understand why this is happening 'all of a sudden'...it worked fine before I left for vacation...as a side note, I keep seeing a Windows update ( 10 actually) that needs to install...I've installed the updates repeatedly, perhaps 5 times, each time Windows says the installation was successful, yet after a restart, the updates are presented again for install...they are also listed as successful repeatedly on the Windows Update page in Control Panel...thanks again for any suggestions

Oct 10, 2012 1:58 PM in response to backlineguy

Oooh! A clue:

"C:Windows\System32\mssip.dll is either not designed to run on Windows, or contains an error..."

That suggests damage to one of the security dlls on the system.

I'd first try the fixit from the following Microsoft document. (One of the things it does is reregister your copy of the mssip.dll file.)

You cannot install some updates or programs

... but if you still get the issue, I'd try an sfc /scannow as per the instructions in the following document:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Oct 11, 2012 10:02 AM in response to b noir

thanks again b noir for your help with this...I'm frustrated by this. Perhaps I'm not capable of understanding the info on these links...I'm trying to reregister the mssip32.dll file, but I get an error saying I don't have permission to do this...beyond frustrating...and the updates; I tried the FIX IT NOW, and restarted, but I still see the same updates waiting to be installed, even showing them as successfully installed REPEATEDLY...I have to work on something else for a couple days to maintain my sanity...will be open to ANY help I can get...I need to be able to open iTunes...

Dec 11, 2012 2:40 PM in response to backlineguy

It is very interesting that this problem has been around since at least 2007 for various Windows platforms (Vista, XP, 7) and no one has a solid answer that actually works. But I digress....

I'm running Vista and I have had iTunes on my laptop for 2 years. I recently upgraded from iTunes 10.7 to 11 and the DEP issue started. You solution to go to an older version, which in my case was back to 10.7, worked! My assumption is that the version 11 is not DEP ready yet. Maybe version 11.1....

DEP prevents iTunes from running Win 7 32-bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.