Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted masters when deleting Faces photos

Hi, I tried to delet pictures with faces. Because I don’t know how, I deleted them in Finder. After this when I opened iPhoto, I don’t have here any photos. Every event has small preview, gps data are here, but photos are not in library. We tried to recover photos from disk, but they aren’t there. Please help, there were our photos from all this year and I didn’t make backup in time. Thank you.

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 12:38 PM

10 replies

Oct 9, 2012 12:53 PM in response to LilDevil.sk

A few things

1. Never make any changes of any sort to the contents or structure of the iPhoto library using and program except iPhoto. In fact you should not even be in is as there is no reason to

2. Not having a backup is a guarantee of losing data. Things go wrong, human errors, hardware errors and software errors. With no back up you are 100% guaranteed to lost all of your files including your photos sooner or later. You need an external hard drive at least 2 1/2 times as large as your main drive and start Time Machine so you always have a backup (I have three)

3. Can you put the iPhoto library back exactly like it was? If you can not right click on the iPhoto library, copy the masters folder upto the desktop, Close the library, rename it (iPhoto library bad), depress and hold the option key, launch iPhoto, create a new library and drag the folders of photos from the masters folder to iPhoto so it will import them into the new library

LN

Oct 9, 2012 1:03 PM in response to LarryHN

1. I saw these faces pictures in Finder in All my files, so I marked them and deleted them. But I don't know how, I deleted also a lot of other pictures from my Dropbox or iWork or MS Office (template pictures). I don't know how. I was not entering iPhoto library "folder". But before cleaning my trash I checked it and master photos or mentioned template pictures were not there. There were only more than 10,000 faces small photos. Maybe some system mistake?

2. I know :(

3. The masters and preview does not have any photos :( They only have a lot of sub-folder with dates but there aren't any photos :((

Thank you anyway LarryHN!

Oct 9, 2012 1:31 PM in response to LilDevil.sk

We tried to recover photos from disk, but they aren’t there.

How did you do this? Did you use file recovery software like SubrosaSoft FileSalvage? Unles you've had considerable disk activity since the deletion and overwrote the files FileSalvage should be able to recover them. It lets you run it in demo mode to determine what files it can recover before you have to purchase it.

OT

Oct 9, 2012 1:47 PM in response to Old Toad

No, we have tried Data Rescue 3 and now there is just runnig Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery. I'll let you know the results from this software when it'll finish scanning. It's already scanning for one hour and it's still not even in the half. If it won't help, I'll try your mentioned software and also I'll let you know.

Thank you Old Toad.

Oct 9, 2012 4:52 PM in response to LilDevil.sk

The problem is that when I open my library in iPhoto, there are events and albums but it's showing me only exclamation mark, not the photos.

That's a result of you deleting the original files from the Finder.

Be sure when you try FileSalvage you set it to only search for jpeg image files and to restore their original file names.

Deleted masters when deleting Faces photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.