Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lightning connector problem

I picked up my iPhone 5 yesterday and after getting it home and starting the long task of tranfering my thousands of songs onto the device, I noticed that there seems to a problem witht the Lightning connector. Most times when inserting the connector into the phone, there is no connection ie. no pluged in tone and unable to sync. I have found that by placing a slight downward pressure to the plug I can get it to start syncing, then after releasing the pressure it disconnects itself. I repeat, that this happens most, but not all of the time. Is anyone else noticing this or maybe I just need to try a new cable (which are not available in the HK apple store)

Cheers

Rhys

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 6:47 PM

15 replies

Oct 21, 2012 5:46 AM in response to RhysNicholls

Mine won't work at all, I have had the iPhone now since release, and it has ceased working twice. This includes plugging it into an AC plug adapter, in car USB charge, and when I plug it direct into my MacBook Pro, it says it was drawing too much power, and will not connect....Well I'm stuffed, iPhone is now at 0%, and I have no way of charging the damm thing. It's really weird.

Nov 4, 2012 10:12 AM in response to RhysNicholls

I am also facing same problem. I am in India and Apple launched iPhone 5 just 2 days back so there are no supplies. Somehow it works if I bend the cable left or right at lightning connector end. My earlier phone was using different SIM and with iPhone 5 I swapped that with nano SIM whihc won't work on my old phone. So I will keep charging my phone by pressing or bending the cable for sometime till I get hold of a new cable.

Jun 23, 2013 7:01 PM in response to RhysNicholls

I have gone through about 3 lightning connector cables over the last year. They initially work, but later they go bad.

They start having the same symptoms described above where the cable will sometimes charge if you reverse it or press down on the cable. Over time, they just stop working. When connected via USB to my computer, I started getting an error message indicating that the device was not working properly and the computer stopped recognizing the device as an iPhone.

Replacing the cable fixed the problem, but I'm wondering if there is a way to get the non-functional cables to work again or maintain them so they last longer.

One thing I noticed is that over time the center gold connection wire turns black in color, as if it was burnt as the phone was charging. I tried using an eraser to get the black stuff off to no avail. I will try a Q-tip with alcohol next. Wish there was a documented quick fix or maintenance plan for keeping the cables functional.

Jun 28, 2013 10:28 AM in response to RhysNicholls

I have three cables and an adaptor, I have problems with all of them. The new plug seems to get dirty even though not touching anything but the devices it's plugged into and usually fails to connect. I can't use some external devices like my Bose Sounddock at all.

I clean them repeatedly and soon they will lose metal from cleaning and replacements are expensive.

lightning connector problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.