Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just got a 4S but wife has one already & itunes account. Need advice on how to proceed

We have Windows 7 and only use one user account. I am not opposed to creating a new one if need be. She has itunes & her own account for her iPhone. We have always used that account for music & sharing it on my iPod. I now have an iPhone also. Do I need a new account of my own or am I better served just using the same account? Any other suggestions?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 7:07 AM

If you share an Apple ID, you will be able to share all the apps, music, etc purchased on that account. That will also allow you to share iCloud resources, like a calendar, contacts, etc. However, you will also have a problem with things like seeing each other's texts if you both set up the same Apple ID in Messages. So you have to decide how much sharing you want to do.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2012 7:07 AM in response to hocker03

If you share an Apple ID, you will be able to share all the apps, music, etc purchased on that account. That will also allow you to share iCloud resources, like a calendar, contacts, etc. However, you will also have a problem with things like seeing each other's texts if you both set up the same Apple ID in Messages. So you have to decide how much sharing you want to do.

Oct 11, 2012 5:32 AM in response to hocker03

I am having the same issue also. But I was wondering if you share the same apple id for app store and itunes wouldn't every app that he purchased also show up on his wife's phone. I like to keep my phone neat but my husband downloads every app he sees. Can you prevent this from happening and still share the apple id just for certain apps that you share and don't want to purchase twice.

Oct 11, 2012 6:02 AM in response to hocker03

This is probably a long shot....... but I like to buy itunes gift cards to put on my phone and I know the way he likes to buy apps he would use the money up quickly (I only buy apps that I really need). Is there any way to set a limit on his phone so he wouldn't use all the money up buying apps he doesn't need so that we could say "split the money" and once his portion is gone he would no longer be able to buy apps or music.

I just got a 4S but wife has one already & itunes account. Need advice on how to proceed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.