Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

logic pro system overload

am gettin sick of his now running macbook pro 4gbram over120hd space nd i get system overload error with 15channels running nothing but melodyne noway this is a cpu or hd prob any fixes pls

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 7:36 PM

15 replies

Oct 10, 2012 10:19 AM in response to vicharmonyprodz

Listen, nobody can magically see what you are doing and what "your" Logic is doing and how your disks are behaving, what insert and/or software instrument plugins you are using in which configuration, what track you have selected, how full your disk is, what model Mac you have and which exact version of Logic you have and how much RAM you have and what you yourself have tried or researched about this "issue", which is seldom down to technical shortcomings and much more often down to pilot error/inexperience. It's the most asked question on any Logic forum, every answer there is, has already been given.

So, in short, no, I can't guarantee anything, I just suspect chances are about 90 % that your issue(s) is mainly due to disk problems.

So you should start by observing whether it is actually your CPU or your disk that is choking, by doubleclicking the meters in the transport and thus opening them in a separate somewhat bigger floating window.

Also, read this document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3161

Oct 10, 2012 2:18 PM in response to vicharmonyprodz

I very often get system overloads within the first 2-5 minutes I work on a project. So my workflow has become:

Loop the song, let it run, and let me get 2 or 3 system overloads. No sound, just "system maintenance",

if somebody should ask.

And then we are ready to work. No system overloads will happen again! (well at least it´s very rare)

I may have 3 or 4 instances of melodyne and a lot of dangerous NI stuff on board.

I use a Glyph FW 800 as my recording disc.

Oct 10, 2012 2:33 PM in response to Jan Due1

Jan Due1 wrote:

I very often get system overloads within the first 2-5 minutes I work on a project. So my workflow has become: Loop the song, let it run, and let me get 2 or 3 system overloads. No sound, just "system maintenance", if somebody should ask.

And then we are ready to work. No system overloads will happen again! (well at least it´s very rare)

Been like this for years now... has to do with the way Logic buffers data. No data buffer is filled before it's needed, the positive: Low CPU use at idle or with loaded templates. The downside: System Overloads when regions approach plugins for the first or second time, general quirkiness with loops, the first beat of measure 1 sometimes being unreliable...etc.

Oct 10, 2012 4:22 PM in response to Pancenter

hmmmm i might as well go back to pro tools then i only started using logic as i wanted to start mixing my clients work myself nd most of my sound engineers said logic was better than pro tools for mixing and mastering guess not its simply ridiculous that there is a bug with logic on this subject for so many years nd it has not being adressed thanks for ur inputs and advice anyways guys much apreciated

Oct 10, 2012 4:30 PM in response to vicharmonyprodz

vicharmonyprodz wrote:

hmmmm i might as well go back to pro tools then i only started using logic as i wanted to start mixing my clients work myself nd most of my sound engineers said logic was better than pro tools for mixing and mastering guess not its simply ridiculous that there is a bug with logic on this subject for so many years nd it has not being adressed thanks for ur inputs and advice anyways guys much apreciated

It's not really a bug, it's a design philosophy that has generally provided good results... however, when mixing certain types of projects you usually have to let it play through once.

Also, if you're use to using a PT HD system, learning to use Native take a bit of time.

OSX, (especially recent versions) does a lot of writing/reading from the system drive so if you're trying to pull audio off the same drive there can be problems.

Oct 10, 2012 6:32 PM in response to vicharmonyprodz

i agree with the internal HD issue, always seperate projects and applications. I'll ask the obvious though since no one else has. Have you checked your preferences--> audio settings? Latency, process buffer etc. because pretty much no matter what you're doing, if you're running 1024 with only logic running, and 4GB of ram, you should have no problems. Horrible latency, but if you're mixing who cares? Also, i don't know how many cores your computer has, but logic is awful at distributing workload. I know a couple of people who bought goliath computers with 12 cores etc. and logic will still kick the crap out of the first one or two and ignore the others. That's another reason why the starting/stopping "trick" works. Logic gets better at using the processors each time you do it. 2 processors anyway. A fast external firewire drive will help for sure, if your project files are on it instead of internal. Good luck, i hate trying to massage all the settings into the magic spot so you can work properly.

logic pro system overload

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.