Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to be able to re-download iOS 6?

My device has been down since September 19th. I need to know if there is a way to get iTunes to retrieve the download and reinstall it on my now truly unlocked but non-functioning unit.

Or how can I tell if my phone was adapted by the process which is not to be named here, and whether said unnamed process damaged files? Is there any way to flash the phone or otherwise fix files that may have been corrupted by the process which is forbidden to be named here?

By the way, I am getting the "no sim card installed" message.

Any constructive advice and/or lessons learned is appreciated. I thank you in advance.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6, Windows 7 64 bit, TMobile

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 7:55 PM

15 replies

Dec 19, 2013 11:14 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

No, I have an iphone that will not activate because it says No SIM card. And I do not appreciate your assumptions nor rudeness ChrisJ4203. I did not address you in the previous post. That means the only reason you bothered responding is to be hateful, not helpful. If you cannot help me, then keep quiet. I am awaiting a reply from LDevose2. Thankyou!

Dec 19, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Kangkairen

Kangkairen wrote:

LDeVose2,

I am having an identical problem to the one you were having a year ago.

I did not make the assumption. LDeVose2 referred to jailbreaking and you said what I quoted.

If you have a problem with no SIM, then you did not mention that in your post, so no one would be able to know that. If you are looking for answers to your questions, I would be more than happy to provide them. This is what can happen when you come into a post that is over a year old and ask a question. Your best bet would have been to start your own thread. Maybe you can see your error. Now, SIM errors are of two types. Either your phone will not activate because the SIM is not supported, which means your device is locked to another carrier, other than the one you are trying to activate with, or you can see this support document for other SIM errors. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4148

There was no attempt to be rude on my part, as we both made assumptions. Your post made it appear you were jailbroken, and I assumed that by your post. You assumed that I was being rude and have nothing better to do. This is a user to user forum and depends on users to try and help others. At times, people are not always as straight forward in describing their problems. And because of the age of this post, you may not get a response from the OP, and again, his SIM error had to do with jailbreaking.

Dec 19, 2013 11:39 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Okay, I see your point. I read from two threads with LDevose2, and I was responding to his initial issue of a NO SIM reading after an attempted unlock. I am fully aware of the age of the post, but I wanted to see if LDevose2 had found a solution for the problem, because I have not yet found an answer. My phone has been out of service with AT&T for over a year, so they will not give me much assistence, and My warranty ended about 2 years ago with Apple, so no help there either. I just wanted to unlock my phone so I can use it with another carrier, but something did not go right in the unlock process, probably because I misunderstood the 24 hour waiting period and tried to follow directions after the initial Unlock Granted email was sent. I don't really know, but I'd sure like to get my phone to work again.

Dec 19, 2013 11:44 AM in response to Kangkairen

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. AT&T are the only ones that can authorize the unlock of your phone. If you contacted them for the unlock and they granted it, then you wait for the email they send to say the unlock is authorized and to restore the phone to complete it. Keep the AT&T SIM in the phone, make sure you have imported photos and other content, made a backup of the phone, and then restore as a new device. See this support document for a restore. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414. After that restore, you should see the Congratulations your phone is unlocked message. After that, put the new SIM in the phone and activate it. You can then restore to your last backup and your phone should be activated and have your content back on it.

Dec 19, 2013 11:52 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you for your help!

Is this the email you are talking about, or should I have waited for another email. And if I was supposed to wait, and I didn't wait. What is the long-term consequence?

Request number: 5656382

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device.

We have reviewed your request and confirmed that the device may be unlocked.

Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock process.

To complete the unlock, simply

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.

2. Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.

3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.

4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visithttp://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.

5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.

Additional information on unlocking can be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

For questions regarding AT&T Mobile device, please visit the Phone/Device Learning Center.

Thank you for your business. For other questions about our AT&T wireless service or other Mobile devices, please visit att.com.

Sincerely,

AT&T Customer Care Team

Dec 19, 2013 12:01 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Well, I think the problem is that I didn't wait 24 hours to backup and restore. By now, it has been at least 23 hours since I got that email. Will it work in another hour? Right now I cannot activate it with either card, the AT&T card nor the Family Mobile card. Why won't it read my AT&T card? It is one the AT&T store gave me since I no longer had my old one, but it has never had an account set up on it. I am just worried that I jumped the gun and now it is permanently stuck.

Is there any way to be able to re-download iOS 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.