Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to upgrade my Mac Mini Server OS

I have a Mac Mini with OS 10.6.8, and was wanting to upgrade the OS to a newer version. I'm a bit confused on which version to buy. The Apple App Store has OSX Server for $19.99, but this looks like an add-on for existing mountain lion users. Am I wrong on this, or is there another version of server operating system somewhere out there?

Also, do I have to use a server OS in this model of Mac Mini, or could I just switch to a stand-alone version of OS 10.8? My model has 2.66 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, dual 500 GB HD's. I don't really use this unit as a server at all, and have almost all of the server features disabled anyway.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 6:27 AM

You can do everything you like.

If you want to upgrade to OS X Server you will have a stand alone version of Mountain Lion at some point during that process, in order to get OS X Server you need to install Mountain Lion first and thus your server will be a non-server.

1 reply

Want to upgrade my Mac Mini Server OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.