Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13 - What's the best "External Monitor"

I have a Hannspree 25" (2 year old) monitor and chose various resolution settings.. still bad.

What is a really good external monitor with high resolution. I can't afford the $1000 Mac external monitor.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), iOS 6

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 1:32 AM

A lot of photographers like the NEC monitors with Spectraview as best quality for price. Really expensive and not really any better are Eizo. You'll have to do some research on the size/prices. if you can afford it, the ones with the calibration software are the best. Also, the Dell monitors are actually a good bang for buck. Check out photo.net and go to the digital darkroom forum there and search on monitors there is lot of discussion and information there and you should be able to get a good monitor in the $500USD range. If the quality and rendition aren't so important to you, than I'm sure there are many out there that will do the trick. Maybe you can even look at refurbished mac monitors. I think they are great and they are designed to work with your mac:)

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2012 1:32 AM in response to Crockout

A lot of photographers like the NEC monitors with Spectraview as best quality for price. Really expensive and not really any better are Eizo. You'll have to do some research on the size/prices. if you can afford it, the ones with the calibration software are the best. Also, the Dell monitors are actually a good bang for buck. Check out photo.net and go to the digital darkroom forum there and search on monitors there is lot of discussion and information there and you should be able to get a good monitor in the $500USD range. If the quality and rendition aren't so important to you, than I'm sure there are many out there that will do the trick. Maybe you can even look at refurbished mac monitors. I think they are great and they are designed to work with your mac:)

Oct 10, 2012 6:09 PM in response to conorfromvictoria

Yes the Ultrasharp are the ones I was thinking of. The rate a good reputation amongst photo people and the prices are very affordable. The better Nec monitors would be considered more accurate and color exacting than Apple Monitors, but the Mac monitors are no slouches either and work quite well for photo editing and post processing as do the ultrasharp Dells.

Jan 22, 2013 11:18 PM in response to Crockout

I came across this forum as I looked for an answer to the same question. From all the reviews I read, the Dell monitors seem to be the best value for the money. My family had a Dell UltraSharp and it has lasted for a long time. I guess my dad knew what he was doing!

There sure is a lot of advice out there on this topic. I've read the links in this forum and they were very helpful. CNET has some great reviews, but I like to read what real people have to say so Amazon is very helpful for that. Dell UltraSharp Reviews

Apr 15, 2014 5:01 AM in response to JoHood

Thanks JoHood, I've checked these out on Amazon UK and they seem very reasonable.

How long have you had it for? How do you link it up to your MacBook Pro?

I'm a bit behind with all the latest technology so am trying to find out the best laptop / monitor and other additions (keyboard & mouse) set-up...

Thanks in advance for any tips 🙂

Sep 1, 2014 6:25 PM in response to Metta3

Metta3 wrote:

Thanks JoHood, I've checked these out on Amazon UK and they seem very reasonable.

How long have you had it for? How do you link it up to your MacBook Pro?

I'm a bit behind with all the latest technology so am trying to find out the best laptop / monitor and other additions (keyboard & mouse) set-up...

Thanks in advance for any tips 🙂

User uploaded file

I use the Dell UltraSharp U2412M. It has amazing picture and it has the best picture for the buck, but I do think ViewSonic has some great monitors too.

I use amini diplay port to HDMI cableto get picture to the monitor.

MacBook Pro 13 - What's the best "External Monitor"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.