Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

showing hidden files no longer working

Hi,

Been doing this for a long time in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles 1 && killall Finder

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles 0 && killall Finder

But seems to no longer work properly in 10.8.2. Is there something wrong with my syntax or is there a better way?

Thanks,

rc

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 3:46 AM

Just used the same syntax here and it worked fine. Have the 10.8.2 Supplement installed.

6 replies

Jan 29, 2014 11:45 PM in response to rick722

Hi,

Mavericks uses a new caching system for plist files. I believe that when you use the Killall Finder command, the OS believes finder has crashed and replaces the finder plist file from the one it has in it's cache rather than reading the com.apple.finder.plist file. My tests showed that the defaults command (above) is writing the needed entry to the plist, but the Killall command is causing the plist file to revent back to the previous version (I assume from cache).

Initally I solved this by rebooting after the the defaults command (no killall). This seems to sync the cached version with the real file. Next I tried to see if there is a way to sync the cache without the reboot. The process that controls this is "cfprefsd". There are two instances of it running on Mavericks, one as user and one as root. If I used a Killall on this processes then it auto-restarts and seems to repopulate the cache from the file.

So... The following gets the job done most of the time:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1 && killall cfprefsd

I say most of the time simply because sometimes the the plist still manages to revert back. I'm pretty sure this could happen with the reboot method as well.

showing hidden files no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.