Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make it impossible to reset my system admin password without knowing the original?

I recently learned that my imac's system admin password can be reset by anyone, even if they don't know the current password (I know, I'm a noob). I'm hoping there's a way to block that, otherwise the password is kind of worthless to me. What if someone steals my mac and gets access to all my files and info? Anyway, is there a way to make it 100% impossible to reset the system admin password without knowing the old one? Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 11:26 PM

2 replies

Oct 10, 2012 2:01 AM in response to JayRuh

To make it so that no-one can read your data, you can turn on FileVault, in System Preferences > Security. You do that by setting a Master password. This encrypts your files.

I believe the normal method of resetting a password with the install disks will not work with FileVault enabled as one will need to enter the Master password, before a password can be changed.

Using FileVault offers you the protection you seek.

A warning however; if you ever forget the Master password, there is no recovery.

How can I make it impossible to reset my system admin password without knowing the original?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.