Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ICHAT

Hey there.

I'm thinking of buying a webcam to use ICHAT. You know you can't launch that program without a webcam. However I'm wondering : is there a lot of people on IChat ? Does it worth to buy a cam ?

I'm looking for a nice webcam chat ot just a mic chat to meet people and keep up with my english. Thanks a lot for letting me know if you have adresses.

snale

ibook, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Apr 12, 2006 9:05 AM

3 replies

Apr 12, 2006 9:30 AM in response to 2Ss

You don't need a webcam to use iChat. In fact, the vast majority of people on iChat do not use a webcam. iChat is for "text chatting" first. You can also use it for "audio" chat if you want. And, if you do have a FireWire webcam, you can use it for video chat. You can use iChat at first and then decide if you want to buy a webcam later.

-Doug

Apr 12, 2006 11:02 AM in response to 2Ss

Hi 2Ss,

Welcome to Apple Discussions

Basically, iChat is a "gateway application" for chatting. iChat isn't a service in itself, but an application that uses other services. With iChat you can talk to people on AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), ICQ, Jabber, and more. With Jabber you can talk to other messenger services that iChat natively can't (example: Yahoo or Hotmail). You can find directions on how to here.

As for a web cam, I believe at this moment you can only audio and video chat with AOL users. I am pretty sure with Yahoo you can video, but no audio. I suggest the iSight because it by far is the best web cam around. I use it every day to contact (video meetings) people all over the world. It is really kind of nice to be able to see people rather then just hear their voice. You may want to post iChat/iSight/Messenger/web cam questions either the iChat or iSight forum. There are people there who may have the same question or others who are more knowledgeable about those topics.

Jon

PS The section on iChat is my thoughts; there may be more to it.

Mac Mini 1.42Ghz, iPod (All) , Airport (Graphite & Express), G4 1.33Ghz iBook , G4 iMac 1Ghz, G3 500Mhz, iBook iMac 233Mhz, eMate, Power Mac 5400 LC, PowerBook 540c, Macintosh 128K, Apple //e, Apple //, and some more... Mac OS X (10.4.5) Moto Razr, iLife '06, SmartDisk 160Gb, Apple BT Mouse, Sight..

ICHAT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.