Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

artist listed twice on iPhone, but not in iTunes - help please

Hi all.

I've been trawling through the forums for this, but I can only find posts that have been 'archived' from previous years. I can't believe I'm the only person who still has this problem, but still.

Problem: on my iPhone 4 running iOS6, the artist 'Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds' is listed twice - once for one album, and again for another. I've opened the Get Info in iTunes and copied and pasted all the artist details save the album into the other so that they match exactly. (And I have checked that over and over!) I checked my iTunes folder and it has both albums in the same artist folder called 'Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds'. I've synced the phone a few times over a few different days and tries but nothing has changed - my Mac thinks it's one arist with two albums, but my iPhone thinks it's two separate artists with different albums.

Does anyone else have this problem? More importantly, does anyone know how to fix it?

Ta for any advice you could give - or pointers to posts I could not find that already detail the fix.

🙂

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 12:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:59 AM

I had this same problem and here is what I found sorted the problem:

Open itune and go to "music" in your "library",

Make sure you are in "Songs" view by selecting the tab and make sure you sort it by artist,

Right click the bar at the top of the song list and make sure you have "track number" selected,

Find the offending artists and have a look at the track number and make sure they are the same format (some might be "1 of 9" format and some might be "1"),

To change all the songs track numbers in your Library to the same format:

Select all the songs and right click to "get info",

Select the box to the right under "track number" and click ok.

It will now start sorting them, this could take a few minutes.

Now move the music you want onto your iPhone.

This done the trick for me, hope it helps you.

If you don't understand something here let me know and I'll do my best to help you further.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2013 6:59 AM in response to Suzanne Thompstone

I had this same problem and here is what I found sorted the problem:

Open itune and go to "music" in your "library",

Make sure you are in "Songs" view by selecting the tab and make sure you sort it by artist,

Right click the bar at the top of the song list and make sure you have "track number" selected,

Find the offending artists and have a look at the track number and make sure they are the same format (some might be "1 of 9" format and some might be "1"),

To change all the songs track numbers in your Library to the same format:

Select all the songs and right click to "get info",

Select the box to the right under "track number" and click ok.

It will now start sorting them, this could take a few minutes.

Now move the music you want onto your iPhone.

This done the trick for me, hope it helps you.

If you don't understand something here let me know and I'll do my best to help you further.

artist listed twice on iPhone, but not in iTunes - help please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.