Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi: No Hardware Installed on MacBook Pro 8,2 (15 inch, Late 2011)

Hi Everyone,

For the second time now, I have to bring my Macbook Pro 8,2 (macbookpro8,2, 15 inch, late 2011) running Mountain Lion back to the Genius Bar due to a unrecognized Wi-Fi Airport adapter. The computer was purchased in March of 2012.

The problem started as I was watching 'The Daily Show" online, when suddenly, I lost connection. I clicked on the wi-fi adapter icon on the top menu bar, and saw that no access points were available when there normally were over 20, including mine in the house. I went into the network settings under system preferences and saw that the wi-fi card was off (although it was just on and still showed the full-signal indicator in the menu bar), and attempted to click the button to turn it back on with no response. All other options were either greyed-out or displayed no information. The Hardware tab didn't even display and the mac address suddenly became all zeros.

I rebooted the computer, only to discover the wi-fi indicator on the menu bar displaying no signal. Upon clicking on the icon, the dreaded "Wi-Fi: No Hardware Installed" was displayed. I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM/NVRAM with no success. I also rand the Hardware Troubleshooter ( Option - D upon bootup ) which neither saw the communications device nor reported finding any problem.

I brought it to the Genius Bar, and they ended up replacing BOTH the Logic Board, Wi-Fi adapter, and connection cable between the wi-fi adapter and logic board on July 23, 2012.

Now, it's October 10, 2012, and last night, as I was working through a VPN tunnel on the terminal on one of our remote servers, the SAME THING happened AGAIN! The connection was dropped, same scenario as above, and upon bootup I was greeted with the "Wi-Fi: No Hardware Installed" message again.

The hardware magically disappeard with no mention of this in the Console, as far as I can tell. The Console mentions the loss of connection and inability to contact DNS, but nothing relating to hardware.

For the record, the bluetooth continued to function both times I've had this issue. The first time this happened, I was running Lion and now I'm running Mountain Lion.

So apparently there is something really wrong with either the physical enclosure causing a short somehow, the quality of the Broadcom chip on this wi-fi device, or there's some type of software/power causing the chip to short out.

My compouter is as protected as can be - it's in a Speck plastic housing with a keyboard cover, which was purchased after the first incident, I use it on a hard flat plastic laptop tablet at home, and carry it around in a Timbuk2 Laptop bag. It also has never been dropped.

What's the problem here? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks and all the best of luck and success solving your own computer problems 🙂

An Admin Becoming More And More Superstitious The Longer He's In This Profession,

TeaKae

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 2:40 AM

18 replies

Oct 16, 2012 8:03 AM in response to RostLabAdmin

I have the same problem as you. For now, I'm using a USB adapter to connect to the Internet. However it doesn't work with my school network 😠. Anyway, I tried replacing the Wi-Fi hardware card myself, but to no avail. It still doesn't work. I'm in the same boat as you right, which is a good thing to know, since this doesn't sound like a common problem. I'm suspecting a faulty connection between the logic board and the Wi-Fi card, so I'll buy a ribbon cable and replace it, hopefully fixing the issue (my computer is out of warranty). However, it sounds like you have tried this, so I have no idea what is going on.

Oct 16, 2012 9:10 AM in response to Iku

Well, my MacBook is currently being repaired by the Geniuses at the Apple Store. They ran some special diagnostics tool to verify that the wi-fi card was indeed broken; however, this time, the Logic Board did not show as failed. We spoke about the issue for some time, since the Genius helping me was one of technicians that fixes the computers. Apparently, the wi-fi antenna runs around the frame of the monitor. We came to the conclusion that is entirely possible that there could be a short or pinching point along the path of the antenna, which causes the wi-fi card to burn-out. Therefore, they are currently replacing the entire display along with the wi-fi card (again). If that doesn't work, I have no idea what the problem could be considering almost everything in between the Wi-Fi card in the MacBook Pro has been replaced; or maybe those Foxconn workers on strike didn't care so much for quality control anymore.

TeaKae

Oct 18, 2012 7:46 AM in response to RostLabAdmin

Please let me know how that goes. If the issue is really the cables in the display assembly (which would be interesting, considering the hardware itself should still be detected), I would be forced to make a trip to the Apple store and dish out a lot of money. However, if that doesn't work, we'll brainstorm as to what might be the issue. I'm still suspecting a faulty connection between the logic board and the wifi card, since the card is not detected. Signal issues (not hardware issues) point to faulty antenna wires. However, both of us had signal issues before, so it might be the problem. Or maybe it's both. Again, please let me know how it goes for you so I can get some pointers as to where to go next.

Oct 27, 2012 10:49 AM in response to Iku

Did you receive any news from the Apple Store? I recently replaced my ribbon cable, but the issue still exists, which leads to either faulty antenna wires or a defective logic board (please let it be the former). I'm waiting for a response from you before I take any other action. Thanks in advance.

--Iku

Oct 28, 2012 9:12 AM in response to RostLabAdmin

I solved it. First, like I said, I replaced the ribbon cable. This fixed the hardware issue (Wi-Fi was detected under the EFI and under my Bootcamp Windows partition). However, there was still "no hardware installed" under the OS X partition. This is where I turned to the solution of downgrading the kexts to the Snow Leopard Version. I'm posting the link here. After restarting, Wi-Fi was fixed.

Kext Downgrade Instructions:

http://www.compunoodle.com/wifi-no-hardware-installed-fix-for-os-x-lion/

Ribbon Cable (make an offer of $15.00):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-MACBOOK-PRO-15-A1286-2011-AIRPORT-BLUETOOTH-FLEX-C ABLE-922-9750-/120988723837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2b7d6a7d

I really hope this helps. This solved my issue.

--Iku

Oct 29, 2012 3:17 AM in response to Iku

Sorry for the late reply. I had a bad experience with the Apple Store and the 'Genius' Bar where I live. However, in the end, I received my MacBook Pro back from repair and everything is working.

Like I said in my previous post, the first time the Wi-Fi broke, I was using Lion. The mother (Logic) board was replaced as well as the Wi-Fi card.

The second time it broke, I was using Mountain Lion. Booting up the Recovery partition and Snow Leopard (new install) did not solve the issue. The Apple Store confirmed that the Wi-Fi card was broken through various testing, which I observed.

Since the attenna wires for the Wi-Fi run through the display, we decided the next logical step was to replace the Wi-Fi card and the display. The reasoning is that there could have been a short or cross connection in the attenna wiring that was causing the Wi-Fi cards to short-out/burn-out. The Bluetooth continued to work in both cases the Wi-Fi failed, meaning that it was unlikely a cable problem.

Since the display and wi-fi have been replaced (20121025), I've had no problems. The wi-fi card is working.

I'm glad the kext file solution has worked for you. I've seen posts on this solution; however, after determining that this was indeed a hardware failure (by using Recovery console, booting from Snow Leopard, and using Hardware Troubleshooter (it didn't even see the Wi-Fi) ), I didn't bother with fiddling with the kext (driver) files. Besides, this hardware is supposed to be designed to work with the OS without any problems whatsoever. Shame on Apple if they don't ship proper drivers for their hardware!

TeaKae

Nov 29, 2012 6:25 PM in response to RostLabAdmin

@RostLabAdmin and @Iku,

I'm curious to hear follow ups from both of you. Has each of your fixes continued to work for the last month?

My MBP-8,2 (2011) WiFi started up with this exact same senario today and I'm trying to decide if it's even worth investing in a replacement ribbon cable or if I should just bit the bullet and buy an external WiFi adapter. I don't have the extended care plan, so I'd be making any fixes myself. :\

I'm extremely disappointed in Apple if this is a serious hardware issue (and it certainly appears to be). Any further details you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2012 5:13 AM in response to dpe415

Hi dpe415,

I have exactly the same display installed, the High-Res Anti-Glare upgrade. I also proposed the cable routing as a posslible problem to the Apple 'Genius', which is why they also replaced the display as part of the last repair. Since the repair on 20121025, where Apple replaced both the Wi-Fi card and display, I've had no further problems.

Best,

TeaKae

Dec 3, 2012 7:10 AM in response to RostLabAdmin

Thanks for the added feedback, RostLabAdmin.

Since we both have the Anti-Glare screen, I'm wondering if it is an issue with the WiFi antenna routing behind the aluminum display bezel that comes with that option. (I always thought that the aluminum bezel was a stupid design move anyway. Why not leave the bezel black?)

I'll be curious to hear if additonal users with our MBP series & options start to have the same issue. For now, I've been unable to find a replacement WiFi card (every reseller appears to be sold out). I've got an external, USB wiFi adapter coming in the mail tomorrow. Hopefully that will be a good stop-gap.

If I come across several other users in out senario, I might put together a little website/page to see if we can gauge the number of affected users.

Cheers!

Jan 10, 2013 9:16 AM in response to dpe415

Glad to have found this thread, and thanks for posting your experiences!

Chiming in with my experience:

I used my Macbook Pro 15" A1286 (Early 2011 - Anti-Glare High-Res) without issues for about a year. I left it at home while I went traveling for 8 months, and when I came back in December I installed Mountain Lion on it (from scratch --> USB).

It worked well for a week, until the Wi-Fi stopped working. The machine was rebooted, and the "Wi-Fi: No hardware installed" is now present (bluetooth is working).

I replaced the Wi-Fi card myself, but that did not do the trick.

An appointment has been scheduled at the Genius Bar for this weekend.

I don't have Apple Care, and I'm concerned about what they're going to say. Moreover, I'm dissapointed in this happening less than 2 years into ownership of a $2,500 piece of hardware.

Thoughts on next steps?

Jan 19, 2013 7:41 PM in response to togume

Hi togume,

I had been using a 3rd-party USB WiFi adapter to at least get wireless access for my broken MBP. It worked pretty dang well for $15. However, the UI was a bit quirky and less than ideal. Plus, It just irked me that I had to have the adapter/dongle hanging out the side of my laptop all the time.

So, I purchased a used replacement WiFi card and cable from eBay. Installed them both today and...I have WiFi again!!! Of course, they may crap out again in the future, but the total cost for both parts was only $40, so I'm willing to risk it.

The installation was a bit more complicated than I had hoped. The WiFi card is attached to a "carrier" with 3 screws and then completely wrapped in some special electrical tape. The repair took me about 30 minutes and I'm very, very comfortable working inside a laptop. I've replaced many screens, hard drives, what have you.

Anyway, my two cents on the matter is it's still cheaper to fix it yourself (if you can). I'll post back here if the replacement card fails again in the future. Otherwise, assume the replacement is still working for me.

End of the day - I'm still disappointed in the original card, APPLE.

Oct 28, 2013 9:23 AM in response to dpe415

So, a follow up on my replacement card purchase...

The replacement card I purchased in January (post just above) started acting up (exacty like the original card) in mid September. I purchased another replacement card (again for about $40) and this one lasted about 2 weeks, following in the footsteps of the others (same exact series of occational drop-outs, unrecongnized card, until the card is no longer recongized at all). I've given up and just reverted to using the USB WiFi Adapter I linked to above. It doesn't work well, but it's better than no WiFi at all.

At this point, I've about given up. Obviously there is something causing the cards to fail. Anyone know a chip engineer who would be willing to diagnose it? 😀 Sounds like th ebest course of action (if you really want to fix the problem) is to replace the display as well as the card as RostLabAdmin did.

Serious, very disappointing. It's really making me worry about purchasing another Apple computer. If I do I will most certainly purchase Apple Care this time around.

Wi-Fi: No Hardware Installed on MacBook Pro 8,2 (15 inch, Late 2011)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.