8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 10:14 AM by Ralph Landry1
Sally Reid Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I have a 24" iMac mid 2007 and a view sonic monitor running off of my computer. Question is, since my iMac monitor is leaving ghost images and isn't the same color/resolution as the view sonic, I was thinking about buying another view sonic monitor and running both monitors off the imac and turn the imac screen off. Is this possible? Or will the iMac monitor still be on?

• Ralph Landry1 Level 8 Level 8 (37,395 points)

Since you don't say what Mac OS X version you have, you should be able to do that by going to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement and uncheck Mirroring so only the external display is active...that works on my new iMac with 10.8.2 but should be the same for older versions of Mac OS X.

• Sally Reid Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I have version 10.7.5. Mirroring isn't checked now. I have it set up now as dual monitors. Which is what I want to have but instead of view sonic monitor and the iMac screen, I want 2 view sonic monitors and NO iMac screen on. Does that make more sense? Also, what kind of  plug will I need to do that? Right now, I have my view sonic monitor just plugging right into the back of my iMac port. Is there a port splitter that allows more monitors to hook up to the IMac?

I have never seen a splitter for the display port, can you slave one monitor off the other?  DisplayPort to monitor, then monitor out to monitor in on other monitor?

oh!! GREAT idea! I can do that.

One more thought...

Will having all these montiors affect the speed of the screens?

And can I turn OFF the iMac screen and just have it blank with NO picture/image?

In theory it should not affect the speed.  You cannot physically turn off the iMac screen like an external monitor but you can turn off the mirroring from Systems Preferences > Display > Arrangement so that the iMac screen should stay black.

Be sure while in Display to select the monitor resolution (you can only do that for the first but if they are the same it should apply then...that is, for something like 1980x1200 at 60 Hz, or whatever gives the best image on the monitor.  The iMac may detect and apply the best setting but you can also over-ride if you are not happy with the image quality.

Thanks Ralph!

I just ordered the 2nd external monitor so we'll see in about 6 days.

Sally,

There is a knowledge base article that may help give some ideas, it says Mountain Lion but for this use should be the same with Lion.

Post back when you get this setup...will be interested in seeing your results.  Also, with this experience, stick around the Communities and offer your knowledge to help others...we are all fellow users on here trying to help each other.