Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad2 keeps going into sleep mode automatically when it is in a smart case. When it is take

When I use my ipad2 in a smart case it sleeps whenever I move it. Is this normal? I have bought 2 different covers & it is still doing it. :( I spent too much money on this for it to be messing up.

iPad 2, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 6:51 AM

9 replies

Feb 6, 2013 9:29 AM in response to girlonthemove433

Just thought I'd share my experiences here. Got my iPad 2 in August. Since then it intermittently goes to sleep when moved just as you've described. This can be whilst using an App or whilst on the home screen. I contacted apple support and had a half hour session on the phone. This involved resetting the iPad by doing the following:

They added a new user account onto my MacBook, then installed iTunes and then plugged the iPad in whilst pressing the button and and reset it from iTunes.

It didn't work, so I got back in touch and insisted on a replacement which was sorted out for me. I was told not to set up the new iPad from an iTunes back up in case there was a software corruption issue. On receiving the new iPad I set it up from an iCloud back up. The symptoms continued. I have since reset the iPad from the settings menu and also erased the contents to start afresh. I set it up as new not using any back up and the symptoms are still there. I've just tried pressing the menu button and the sleep button to reset the iPad. Downloaded some of my apps and the same thing happens.

If anyone ever comes up with a solution I'd be extremely grateful.

Feb 7, 2013 1:48 PM in response to girlonthemove433

I may have got to the bottom of this mystery. Tonight I took my iPad out of my case as it was continually going to sleep with every little movement. It stopped when it was out of the case. I put it back in and it started doing the same thing. I realised this only happens when the cover is wrapped around the back not when it's left open like a book. I then took the case off and just put the magnetic part of the cover behind my iPad roughly where it would be if the case was on and cover was wrapped around the back. It kept going to sleep with any slight movement but only when the magnet was touching the back of the iPad. I'm pretty sure the iPad is sensitive to the magnet part of my cover. I'll let you know if this is not the case but I'm using my iPad out of my cover with no problems at the mo.

Jun 22, 2013 5:15 AM in response to Conshom

I am suddenly having the same issue with my iPad2. It definitely has something to do with the magnets when the cover when it is flipped back. The mystery is, why now? I have had zero problems using it this way for 2 years and suddenly it starts. I have had it in a Belkin cover that I love for about8 months without a problem, it thinking it could be it, went back to my Apple Smart Cover. Same thing. I really don't like using it with nothing protecting it.

I am going to go by the Apple Store today and see if they have any suggestions. I have done the reset and a complete resets a new iPad.

My iPad2 keeps going into sleep mode automatically when it is in a smart case. When it is take

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.