Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hyperactive trackpad

All of a sudden my trackpad (with an iMac, wireless trackpad and keyboard) seems to have overdosed on amphetamines. Even when I don't touch the trackpad I get frequent clicks and occasionally pointer movements. Sometimes ten or more a minute, enough to make it difficult or impossible to work.

I've tried what I could think of:

Made VERY sure I wasn't inadvertently touching the trackpad. Nope.

Rebooted. Nope.

Went to System Prefs and turned off both single-click by tap and secondary click with two fingers. Nope.

Replaced the batteries (they were down to 30%). Nope.

Got paranoid -- turned off screen sharing and turned on the firewall, in case someone was taking over the computer. Nope.

At this point I'm pretty much down to (a) hardware malfunction on the trackpad, (b) electrical interference somewhere, (c) weird software bug on the iMac, (d) hardware malfunction on the iMac.

I'm pretty sure it's not hardware on the iMac, because removing the batteries from the trackpad cures the problem. And for the same reason I'm almost certain that it's not software on the iMac that's doing it.

Next step, I suppose, is to borrow someone else's trackpad and see if that solves the problem. Any other ideas?

-Lofty

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 7:20 AM

4 replies

Oct 13, 2012 12:35 PM in response to RRFS

Thanks, that’s what I finally did — took it into my office and swapped it with the trackpad there.

Interestingly, it worked fine for a few hours, then got fired up again. Apparently whatever the failure was required that it be on for a while. Something inside much have been misbehaving when it got slightly warm.

New trackpad is the final story.

Hyperactive trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.