Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a new iMac, running Mountain Lion, with CS6. I have the tablet with the keyboard. I'm finding that in CS6 I have to type command-C and command-V repeatedly to copy or paste anything. It is not the keyboard; I've switched that out. What is it?

I have a new iMac, running Mountain Lion, with CS6. I have the tablet with the keyboard. I'm finding that in CS6 I have to type command-C and command-V repeatedly to copy or paste anything. It is not the keyboard; I've switched that out. Is it some kind of tablet interference?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 9:11 AM

14 replies

Oct 10, 2012 12:29 PM in response to sftabby

Have the magic trackpad here in front of me.

How to highlight, copy, and paste selection in Trackpad.

1. Position the mouse pointer to text you want to highlight.
  2. Press down in the left corner of the Trackpad and hold.
  3. Now drag your index finger in direction you wish to highlight. Release.
  4. Now tap with two fingers to bring up copy/paste menu.
  5. Choose copy.
  6. Move to paste location. Tap once to position.
  7. Repeat 4 and choose paste.

Also, see the individual movies in the System Preferences > Trackpad preference pane.

Oct 10, 2012 12:33 PM in response to VikingOSX

That was very concise. But I really want to continue to use the keyboard shortcuts, since this is my work and doing otherwise takes longer. What I need to know is if the issue with the keyboard commands is a system problem, or maybe a conflict with the trackpad interface. In which case I will just dump the thing and go back to a mouse. But if I can fix the keyboard command issue that would be best.

Oct 10, 2012 4:33 PM in response to sftabby

Try using F2 and F3 for copy/paste substitutes within CS6. Other CS6 shortcuts here at Lynda dot com.

There are numerous reports on Adobe and other forums of people experiencing CS6 keyboard shortcut misfires within CS6 on both Lion and Mountain Lion. Even beyond the 13.0.1 update at the end of August. One person thought it might be associated with the FontFont third-party plug-in. Even Windows users are experience keystroke issues with CS6.

How much of a pain would it be to reset your prefs back to factory defaults with Cmd+Option+Shift on starting CS6?

For what this software costs, a person should only need to focus on creativity and results.

Oct 10, 2012 5:11 PM in response to sftabby

Yes, EEK! 😢

Have you run Microsoft Update and installed the latest 14.2.4 Office update yet?

Humor me. When you perform copy, do you then establish keyboard focus by clicking the mouse pointer on the destination screen for the paste action -- before keying the paste?

Have you installed any third-party keystroke mapping software that may be getting between the operating system and these two applications?

Under System Preferences > Accessibility > Keyboard, have you enabled Sticky, Slow, or EEK! Keys?

In System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Keyboard & Text Input, doe the check marks look like the following:

User uploaded file

Oct 10, 2012 5:25 PM in response to VikingOSX

I appreciate your thoroughness.

Yes, I've installed the most current Office updates.

When I switch from window to window (or program to program) I do indeed click into the target window before trying to copy or paste.

I have no third party software.

I have not enabled Sticky Keys or Slow Keys (wish there were a setting for EEK).

In System Prefences the window you show for Keyboard & Text Input has exactly NONE of those items checked. In fact, I wouldn't even know what any of these would accomplish. I tend to use function keys in specific programs only, like F4, F5 and F6 in Photoshop. And with this new computer, I've used the default F2 screen brightener rather more than I'd like, as in the beginning the screen would decide to slowly darken for no reason at all (while I was using it – eventually I would notice that I was squinting at it and turn it back up). It hasn't done this in about a week. But the Copy and Paste situation continues.

Does any of this cause bells to go off in your head?

Oct 10, 2012 6:17 PM in response to sftabby

Feeling a headache coming on ... 😉 not ringing per se.

You are using a Bluetooth wireless keyboard that came with the iMac, right?

Have you turned that off and used a wired keyboard? Same keystroke issues

with a wired keyboard? If no issues with wired keyboard, continue to use it, or

put new batteries into the wireless keyboard, and retest it.

Create a new user account through System Preferences >Users & Groups.

Login to that account and launch CS6 or Word.

Do the keystroke issues follow you into a new account?

Oct 17, 2012 3:47 PM in response to VikingOSX

Sorry to disappear for so long, when you were being so helpful. Had a lot of real work to do, and couldn't deal with this. And because of the time crunch, I decided to try simply disconnecting the trackpad and go back to the wireless mouse, to see if the problem still exists. And it doesn't! So the conflict seems to be between the trackpad and the keyboard – something about the trackpad screws up the keyboard.

I suppose I should tell someone about this, so they have a chance of fixing it. But I don't know who. Do you?

I have a new iMac, running Mountain Lion, with CS6. I have the tablet with the keyboard. I'm finding that in CS6 I have to type command-C and command-V repeatedly to copy or paste anything. It is not the keyboard; I've switched that out. What is it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.