Skip navigation

different aspect ratios

145 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 9:44 AM by mishmumken RSS
sabvaj Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 10, 2012 9:30 AM

I'm trying to export a reel that consists of footage with different aspect ratios, from 4:3 to anamorphic. They were shot on anything from a minidv to Red Scarlet. I'd like it to have a consistant look - black bars on top of all clips and the side ones on the 4:3 ones only.

I can get this if I set the project properties at either NTSC 720x480 or Other 640x480, but the resolution is pretty bad.

If I change it to any other option, including 720HD, the resolution sharpens but the look gets wonky. The footage shot on 5D and Red fills the entire screen, without any black bars while the other ones (minidv) get black bars all around them, even though they were shot 16:9.

How do I fix this? The project properties are not letting me write in my own dimensions. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.5)
  • mishmumken Level 5 Level 5 (4,000 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2012 9:44 AM (in response to sabvaj)

sabvaj wrote:

..... while the other ones (minidv) get black bars all around them, even though they were shot 16:9.

That's because the frame size of SD video is much smaller than that of HD video. If you want to edit in a 720p timeline you will have to up-size all SD clips and the best way to do that is through Compressor with resize filter set to best. But the up-rezzing will cause loss of quality.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.