Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages not listing conversation in correct order

When I open Messages on my MacBook Pro I find that the conversations that were started on my iPhone are now not listed in the correct time order. Because of this it is almost impossible to continue the conversation as the last post I can see in Messages may have a later message listed in front of it!

If you look at the time the messages were sent you can see they are out of order.

User uploaded file

What can I do to rectify this? They appear fine on my phone.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 11:34 AM

3 replies

Oct 13, 2012 12:31 PM in response to Atlantean

Hi,

At the moment there seems to be no fix for this.

Part of the issue seems to centre around whether the Mac being used is Off line or Asleep.

This means when it is turned On and Messages Launched or is woken the Messages app has to sync.

In Messages beta people described this like a slow re-run of the original Chat with new IMs from the Contact arriving in the middle of this.

There is obviously a limit to when and what is synced as I have changed iPhones and it does not update all the iMessages I had on the previous phone (not even the most recent ones)

This seems to be part of the issue as well as the iMessage servers try to judge what iMessages need to be synced.

It maybe that the servers wait for a "Delivered" type response from Messages on the Mac.

User uploaded file
8:31 PM Saturday; October 13, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Dec 1, 2012 11:58 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

User uploaded file For the Points User uploaded file

User uploaded file
7:57 PM Saturday; December 1, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Messages not listing conversation in correct order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.