Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot re-download OS X Lion

I have recently reformatted my iMac using the manufacturer disks. When I originally bought the computer, I had a free upgrade to OS X Lion. After installing Snow Lepard I proceeded to the App Store to re-download and install Lion. The product was listed in the Purchases section but I am unable to download the software. When I select download I get this message:

User uploaded file

I only have one Apple ID and I haven't installed the product on any other IDs.

I tried the "Spotlight" trick but it did not work.

I also tried Internet Recovery on boot but the process gave me an error that told me to visit apple.com/support.

How can I retrieve my copy of Lion?

iMac

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 11:49 AM

5 replies

Oct 10, 2012 12:33 PM in response to Guimesquita2

Guimesquita2 wrote:

Fishbag,

I understand it is frustrating, but Mac OS X Lion is no longer available for download on appstore...

That's not entirely true. If one purchased Lion from the App Store it will still be in the list of purchases to be downloaded again and again. If one has not purchased Lion from the App Store; then it is not available from the App Store and one would need to call Apple to purchase it.

I bought Lion from the App Store after its release and I had a free upgrade to Mountain Lion after purchasing a new rMBP. Both are still available on the App Store to download under Purchases.

Oct 10, 2012 5:24 PM in response to keg55

keg55 wrote:

Did you update your SL to 10.6.8 and apply other OS X updates?

Yes.

Fishbag,

I understand it is frustrating, but Mac OS X Lion is no longer available for download on appstore... The only way to install Lion is through recovery hd (for those who already has it installed) or in your case, using a thumb drive.

Only Mountain Lion can be downloaded through app store.

The issue isn't Lion not being listed (it is, as keg55 said), it's the strange error I get when trying to do download it from my Purchases tab.

Oct 10, 2012 7:51 PM in response to Fishbag

Fishbag wrote:

...When I originally bought the computer, I had a free upgrade to OS X Lion. After installing Snow Lepard I proceeded to the App Store to re-download and install Lion. The product was listed in the Purchases section but I am unable to download the software.

I only have one Apple ID and I haven't installed the product on any other IDs.

How can I retrieve my copy of Lion?

Well, in your case you did not "purchase" Lion but given a code to redeem Lion through Apple's OX Up-toDate Program. The fact that it's list in Purchase is good. Something is a miss in the log in. Did you try signing out and then log in? Has your password changed? Last resort, use the Contact Support button within the App Store.

HTH

Cannot re-download OS X Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.