Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Consolidation: Will it create duplicates of media files if they already exist in the new itunes destination folder but arent being referenced by the itunes library?

I have a macbook pro from fall 2010. I have been using my external HD as my primary itunes folder for the past 7 yrs ( i.e it is organized by itunes default categorization, etc). However, there is some overlap between my external HD itunes folder and my comps original itunes folder (probably 20-30% of my current library's media files were already duplicated there from when i first bought the HD and transferred files to the external, however they are mostly referenced from the external now). Also there are files in the comp's itunes folder that are not on my external (probably due to organizational mishaps and podcast downloads when not connected to the external, etc). I do not know how many files this is the case for.

Recently, i decided that i wanted to consolidate all of my itunes music into one concise folder on my macbook's HD to avoid these issues going forward. I also just bought a new external which i will use to back up my comp's itunes folder once i consolidate everything to the comp. But i plan on using the itunes folder on the comp going forward or at least using the consolidate fcn to avoid these issues.

Here is my dilemma. Prior to learning of the consolidate feature today, I changed the default itunes folder in settings to the original itunes folder on the macbook and then manually dragged all of the media files from my external itunes folder to the macbook's itunes folder. There were a ton of duplicates or overlapping folders with similar artist names, so i opted to have them merge all folders where possible. After doing this, i realized the itunes library still references these files that i dragged and dropped from the external since that is where my default itunes folder used to be. At that point i then read and learned of the consolidate itunes feature which seems like the best way to do this. But i am afraid that if i consolidate my library to my macbook's itunes folder now, will it create duplicates of the 4000 + media files i just dragged to the macbook's itunes folder which are already in the itunes library but being referenced from the old external??

Question: Is there a way that i can make these files i just dragged to the macbook's itunes folder become the ones referenced by the itunes library through the consolidate feature without creating duplicates of these 4000+ files? I want to avoid having three copies of these files (two duplicates in the itunes and the originals on the external). Furthermore, is there a best way to find out which files in the macbook's itunes folder are not being included in the library after consolidating everything to the computer's HD? Then after that, what is the best way to start backing this all up to my new external, so that this overlapping issue doesnt happen again? Im assuming i just need to make sure to consolidate first when changing itunes folders going forward. Thank you. I know that was a lot to read but hopefully someone can help with this issue.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 12:43 PM

Search for all music folder in your itunes library and then drag and drop all the folders containing music on itunes icon at the dock.

7 replies

Oct 10, 2012 12:59 PM in response to warren_p

In general:

- The best way to check if files are in a library is to drag the whole media folder to the library. If something was missed it will be added. If it is in the library is won't be added a second time.

- If you have a second copy of a file and iTunes does not currently list that specific file in its database then even if it is identical to one already in the database it will add it a second time. So if you have file xyz on the internal drive and the external drive and add them to iTunes you will end up with two entries for the same thing in iTunes because you really do have to copies of the files. While this can happen with two copies on a single drive, it will almost definitely be the case when you have a copy of a file on two drives because iTunes really sees them as two different things.

-Unless you know how iTunes works, avoid moving files yourself. Let the consolidate feature do all the file moving. Manually moving files can really mess up iTunes unless you know what you are doing and have iTunes set to not try to do it itself.

- There's no clean and easy way to delete duplicates. The best thing is to change practice so you don't create them. Here are references:

How to find and remove duplicate items in your iTunes library - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2905

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/dupin.php (commercial)

Posts by turingtest2 about different types of duplicates and techniques- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3555601 and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3293239?answerId=16042406022#16042406022 (Note: The DeDuper script is for Windows)

http://www.hardcoded.net/dupeguru_me/

Oct 10, 2012 1:47 PM in response to warren_p

As given in the other thread...

Probably the easiest approach is to copy the current set of iTunes library files (see below) into //Volumes/<NewExternal>/iTunes, use the hold-down-option-start-iTunes method to connect to that copy of the library, change the media folder location to//Volumes/<NewExternal>/iTunes/iTunes Media then consolidate the entire library. Once you've checked that everything is working properly in this new location you can clear everything else away and clone this new copy of your library to the other external drive

You're aiming to end up with the folder structure shown below right. The iTunes library files are the 5 files listed at the end, and the Album Artwork & Previous iTunes Libraries folders, i.e. the stuff outside the red outline.

User uploaded file

In answer to the question in the title of the post... Yes. Consolidating everything to a new empty folder ensures that folder won't have any disconnected dupes. It might still have multiple copies of the same file if your library is currently connected to multiple copies, but cleaning those out is less of a problem with everything in one media folder than when it is scattered around.

tt2

May 30, 2014 7:01 PM in response to turingtest2

Yes, I was going to use it till I realized I had already done too much to try to clear out all the duplicates. I had around 75 gb of songs. maybe 40 gb's in itunes media folder alone, tried using a program, and it ended up taking songs from either side of the folder, Itunes Media, and my original songs folder, and disorganizing them greatly I guess. Then I decided if I just get rid of the itunes media folder it would slim down it in half, meaning it would take all of the bs away, (there were duplicates beyond belief in this folder which was caused by consolidating on my original computer, and I accidently consolidated yesterday on my new computer, not realizing it was just going to duplicate more. but I plan to try your program once I get all my music back together. lol For now I just organize it myself.

Pretty confusing post, just wanted to help someone else out as I was reading this along with some others.

May 30, 2014 7:43 PM in response to 3izyProducer

OK. The problem isn't really the consolidation function. That does exactly what it is supposed to. If however, having consolidated, you then continue to add content into iTunes that is located outside the media folder, in particular folders that had previously been added and then consolidated, you build up dupes, and never get around to tidying the originals. See this recent post on deduping for background information and a deduping tool.

What you should probably do is consolidate your library (again, in case you interrupted it last time or you've added any external references since) and import the media folder in case there are any orphaned files in there from previous attempts to clean up, back up the library dupes and all, then dedupe. When you're happy with the results update the backup and then go and clean up the original source folders once and for all. If you find anything you think is missng from your library move it to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder, then check for duplicates again once you've completed the clean up, or double check first. In future move all content that you want to add to iTunes inside the iTunes Media folder before you add it to the library.

tt2

iTunes Consolidation: Will it create duplicates of media files if they already exist in the new itunes destination folder but arent being referenced by the itunes library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.