Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable "hover to open page" on trackpad?

When my cursor hovers over a link or a tab for a length of time it seems to automatically open it, without a click from me and/or it opens if my cursor is on a link or tab and then I accidentally touch the track pad--not a click, just a light touch. Is there a way to disable the "hover to open" feature on the trackpad? Or to disable the tap to open feature?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 12:25 PM

System Preference > Trackpad > Point & Click

Tap to click

Disable that feature and see if it helps.

This is not a solution but a temporary workaround.

Sometimes cleaning the trackpad with a dry microfiber cloth will help.

Best.

5 replies

Oct 10, 2012 12:36 PM in response to dominic23

Thanks. I did disable Tap to Click and that seems to have solved the problem. Should I also disable Secondary Click? (I'm not sure what a secondary click is unless it means "double click".)

When you say it's a temp. work around, are you implying that something needs to be fixed, or that this workaround will only work for a period of time? I've read elsewhere on these boards that some people have taken MBPs to Apple and had either their trackpad or their display (or other hardware?) replaced for free as Apple determined it was a hardware problem. I'm just wondering if my next step should be to find the solution and not the temporary workaround.

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2012 12:54 PM in response to Gretchen Brant

No. You do not have to disable "Secondary click"

Secondary click is like right/control click.

Tap to click is a very nifty useful feature.

Disabling it does take away the fun of it.

See if you can lower the double click speed in the Universal Access pane of System Preference.

System Preference > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options

> Double click speed

Any hardware related issue should be brought to the attention of Apple.

Best.

How to disable "hover to open page" on trackpad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.