Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen is black when I turn my macbook on

MacBook Pro

screen is black when I turn it on

any clues for me?

thanks

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 12:34 PM

11 replies

Oct 12, 2012 5:00 AM in response to ddam81

Hi ddam81

Yes, I've followed all of the troubleshooting steps and nothing happened.

I actually have the silver model and I'm told by several people who had the same that after 5 years the exact same trouble happens out of the blue and the video card has to be replaced.

But I didn't know about the welding: we'll look into that, too, thanks.

Oct 12, 2012 2:05 PM in response to marinilila

See if it will boot on your Leopard install disk....read on. Try using Disk Utility to do a Disk Repair, as shown in this link, while booted up on your install disk. You could have some directory corruption. Let us know what errors Disk Repair reports and if DU was able to repair them. This could just be a start in repairs and you may need a better utility to finish the job.

Then Repair Permissions.

No need to report any Permissions errors........we all get them.

 DALE

Oct 12, 2012 2:10 PM in response to marinilila

No chimes - Disconnect all peripherals and the power cord, remove the battery. Take a deep breath & count to 60 slowly. Reconnect the power cord and battery and see if the machine starts normally. If it does, you can start connecting all peripherals one at a time.

If this tactic does not work, disconnect the power cord and hold down the Power button for 5 seconds, then reconnect the power adapter and press the Power Button to turn on the computer.

Does this article apply to your model Macbook Pro?

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues. The affected computers were manufactured between approximately May 2007 and September 2008.

User uploaded file

Oct 14, 2012 12:39 PM in response to CMCSK

thanks CMCSK, your link gave me the answer regarding my problem: it actually seems to be the very commun and regrettable failure of graphic Nvidia GeForce 8600m gt cards on many Macbook Pros from 2007-2008.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

It really ***** that mine failed over 4 years after purchase because that's how long they have been court-ordered to repair for free.

thanks

screen is black when I turn my macbook on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.