Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I update iTunes?

When I opened iTunes, it reminded me I had an update (10.7). I just ignored it at first because I was in a rush. Later, I wanted to install a song onto my iPod, but because I had already updated it iOS 6 I needed to update iTunes first. When I went to Help>Check for Updates, 10.7 came up but when I clicked download now, the window closed but nothing else. I tried this several times, and closed and reopened iTunes, but I still couldn't get it to work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Windows 7

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 1:19 PM

5 replies

Oct 11, 2012 12:45 PM in response to Samiller34

The installer will uninstall the previous version of iTunes prior to installing the new version. (That's actually what happens when you update using Apple Software Update too ... it's just not explicitly flagged as happening during the update process.)

Updating to 10.7.0.21 using an iTunesSetup.exe or iTunes64Setup.exe shouldn't touch your content. By way of an example, I've updated to 10.7.0.21 on two different computers using the downloaded installer files (using an iTunes64Setup.exe on the 64-bit system and an iTunesSetup.exe on the 32-bit system) and didn't lose anything.

(That being said, it's still always a good idea to maintain a current backup at all times, in case of disasters of any sort.)

Why can't I update iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.