Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open a Microsoft Excel 97-2004 worksheet attachment

Ever since a user of mine upgraded to iOS 6, he has been unable to open Microsoft Excel 97-2004 worksheet attachments from his email. Are there any additional steps necessary for this?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 1:56 PM

15 replies

Oct 10, 2012 3:50 PM in response to RoyalJeremy

Hi there,

just tested sending both an Excel 97-2004 xls and the a new 2008-2011 xlsx spreadsheet from my computer to my iPhone 4S running iOS 6.

Both file formats can be previewed from within the iOS mail client.

If you have Apple's Numbers app installed on your iPhone you can even work on those spreadsheets.

So the problem most likely lies elsewhere...

Hope this helps,

Chris

Jan 1, 2013 8:23 AM in response to RoyalJeremy

Has there been any news on this? I get an email every morning with an excel spreadsheet that my ipad won't open, it's kind of a big deal. I have tried all the free apps for opening excel on the App Store that I can find including google drive and none of them work. I would buy an app if I needed to but with no return policy in the App Store I'm not spending $ on something that may or may not work, as I think they must all use the same rendering engine to display documents which is why it's not working.

Jan 12, 2013 11:47 AM in response to FinalJenemba

Both hi there,

which version of iOS is running on your iPad? Do you have Numbers installed?

I just sent an email containing both .xls and .xlsx files to an email adress I check with the Apple Mail app on my iPad running iOS 6.0.1. The Mail app offers me both Preview and from there via the Share button both "Open with Numbers" and "Open with Google Drive" With both options I can view and edit the spreadsheets.

So either Apple's Numbers app or Google Docs should work for you.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Jan 13, 2013 2:20 AM in response to Carla229

hi there,

you only need an app like Google Docs or Apple Numbers, if you want to edit an Excel file on your iDevice. Read-Only access (Preview) should work from within the email app itself.

So, since it apparently works on some iDevices and not on others, pinpointing the culprit gets a little more difficult.

A few possible starting points:

• Does the problem occur with all Excel files? If not, are there any complex features (e.g. macros or diagrams) inside those Excel files that do not work?
  • Are they created from within MS Excel itself or from within a 3rd party program such as OpenOffice using the "Save As..." dialogue?
  • If created with Excel, which version of Excel is used to create those files?
  • Also, try to open those Excel files directly after rebooting your iDevice or after clearing the "recently used app" list, as there might be a problem with insufficent memory due to too many open apps.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Open a Microsoft Excel 97-2004 worksheet attachment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.